Eat what you want?! What?!

Options
Ok so I always hear people saying you need to eat foods you like to lose weight, make a plan & stick with it. I think this is bullcrap. I don't really like oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese or most veggies, but I eat them. I love fried chicken, rings, ranch dressing, ice cream & candy but avoid them. I want to lose weight so I make better decisions even if I don't find them enjoyable! I mean there are SOME healthy foods I don't mind like switching to light mayo or eat whole wheat tortilla instead of white. I don't know I just think that line a load of crap unless you're lucky enough to not have a taste for fried food & junk food. Hahahaha. Anyone feel me?

Replies

• dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm with you there! I eat things that are healthy, knowing all the while that I'd like to eat the junk I used to eat. But, the key is, every once in a while you have to treat yourself to something you like. By the way, impressive results for you so far.
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I totally feel ya... one of my coworkers had a great book of recipes though called the the belly fat cure or something. ill let ya know how it goes... there were lots of "fake ya out" recipes : )
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Well, I eat what I want and I still lose weight. :bigsmile:
    I think it depends on your mind set. If you don't have a problem with restricting certain foods, then cut them out.

I know that if I restrict myself completely from the things I like I'm likely to binge on them later. I don't think of this as a diet where you restrict your intake to certain foods. It's a lifestyle change, and I know I'm going to give up all the foods I like for the rest of my life. :noway:

To each his own...:huh:
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think its more to do with why a person over eats. I think the "eat what you want" works for those of us who overeat because we're bored. I have to continually ask myself, "Do I want that, or is it just something to do?" More often than not, I'm eating when I don't want it, and I don't really want anything, I'm just bored. If I only eat what I want, I loose weight, I just have to remind myself to ONLY eat what I want, and not everything else just because.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I agree. I say eat what you want....SOMETIMES, and in SMALL amounts. I am NOT going to live my life without tiramisu, Wendy's fries, or cheese. But I AM going to eat them on rare occasions and in decent portions. Otherwise I would have to screw this whole idea and eat myself into oblivion! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of healthy foods, but I love my junk, too. And I'll eat my junk, with moderation.

I'm in this for the long haul, so if I didn't think I could ever have ice cream or loaded bacon cheddar ranch french fries again, I'd never have started. There's room for everything for me, but I'll actually have a serving of ice cream rather than filling the bowl to the brim.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, the difference now is that fortunately what I want isgood for me, what is not the best for me I rarely want. so when I want it, I eat it.

I wanted chocolate frostie from wendy's last week. I had one, a Jr one of course. This week family went for frostie at wendy's I didn't want one, so I didn't have one.

:-)
  • jacobschwarz
    jacobschwarz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I basicly eat whatever I want. I do restrict the amount or find a substitute for those "bad" foods but I know that if I don't have them at all I will eventually binge. I do restrict them to just one serving,. If that serving is just 2 girl scout cookies then that is what I will have. I have found that if I hold a few calories for a snack at night that cheese and crackers are the best since they are more satisfying. Everything in moderation!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want.

However, luckily, my mother cooked for my family growing up and "junk" was a treat every so often. We raised a garden and had beef cattle. So I CRAVE a good home-cooked healthy meal. I crave fruits and veggies...especially in the raw. I hardly ever crave a fast food meal.

When I went to college, I started eating more fast food and my sense of portions was all out of whack. That's why I gained weight.

I have a sweet tooth and I still eat those things now. I just know that a few bites (literally 2-3 bites) is all I need to enjoy that dessert. :)
  • BadBumbleBee
    Options
    I am with you. I eat my favorite things, but only rarely. Otherwise my diet would consist of thin crust pepperoni pizza from Dominos twice a day; I am not even kidding. I like oatmeal and a lot of healthy options, but I don't ever think there will be a morning where I wake up and think, "Yeah! I'm going to eat oatmeal for breakfast!", as opposed to the rare treat where I think, "Yeah, I'm going to have stuffed french toast with ricotta cheese and strawberries!"
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want too. However, it's all in moderation and I make sure I work out faithfully and try to stay away from my trigger foods that will cause me to crave more. I've noticed, however, the more healthy I eat the less junk I crave, but if I completely restrict myself from my treats, then I will binge on them down the line. It took a long time to put on the weight and it's going to take a long time to take it off and keep it off.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want.

However, luckily, my mother cooked for my family growing up and "junk" was a treat every so often. We raised a garden and had beef cattle. So I CRAVE a good home-cooked healthy meal. I crave fruits and veggies...especially in the raw. I hardly ever crave a fast food meal.

When I went to college, I started eating more fast food and my sense of portions was all out of whack. That's why I gained weight.

I have a sweet tooth and I still eat those things now. I just know that a few bites (literally 2-3 bites) is all I need to enjoy that dessert. :)

I truly am jealous of you!!! Occasionally I'll "crave" a salad... with ranch... hahahaha. I use light & only about a tbsp. if the salad isn't gigantic. then 2. or sometimes ill crave mango... or maybe pineapple on pizza. hahahaha I'm trying to start liking healthier food but it's hard!!!!
  • 12by311
    Options
    but I don't ever think there will be a morning where I wake up and think, "Yeah! I'm going to eat oatmeal for breakfast!",

Haha! Literally this morning, I was like, 'YEAH! Oatmeal & blueberries OR greek yogurt and blueberries!" My husband thinks I'm crazy. I had egg beaters with salsa and greek yogurt with blueberries and granola. It was delish!
  • 12by311
    Options
    I eat what I want.

I truly am jealous of you!!! Occasionally I'll "crave" a salad... with ranch... hahahaha. I use light & only about a tbsp. if the salad isn't gigantic. then 2. or sometimes ill crave mango... or maybe pineapple on pizza. hahahaha I'm trying to start liking healthier food but it's hard!!!!

Well, while I was eating more junk in college, I did crave the bad stuff. Once I got back on track, cravings changed back to "normal" for me. Keep eating those things that you like but not what you TRULY enjoy and they just may become your very favorites! I really think you can retrain yourself.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I certainly eat what I want. Just is the appropriate amounts. I have learned to want fruits, veggies, and whole grains and eat all regularly spread out between six meals a day.

If i want bacon then two slices with one slice of cheese and one egg on a while grain sandwich thin in the morning is what I have. Add strawberries and that is a mighty fine breakfast. Most other mornings it will be oatmeal with raisins, walnuts, 3g of real butter and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.

Each Friday night's dinner consist of what I have been wanting all week. Last night is was a taco and chili relleno with rice and whole beans at Ixtapas. Otherwise dinner consists of chicken, or fish with broccoli and a fruit serving.

Tonight I think I want this: Plus Asparagus and a fruit serviing

Tillamook - Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Grated, 1 container (2 cups ea.) 880 0 72 56 1,360 0
    Barilla - Whole Grain Pasta - Medium Shells, 1 container (14 oz. dries ea.) 1,400 287 11 49 0 42
    Hillshire Farm - Turkey Smoked Sausage, 1 container (14.1 oz. (56g) ea.) 636 21 35 64 3,535 7
    Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 2.5 cup 305 29 12 20 250 0
    General Mills - Gold Medal Wondra Shake & Pour Flour, 1/8 Cup (30g) 50 16 0 2 0 1

Total: 3271 353 130 191 5145 50
    Per Serving: 409 44 16 24 643 6
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want. But what I want has changed :)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am eating what I want just one serving rather than 3 or 4. Still working on eating less sweets but even those I eat in moderation. I know if I avoid all the foods I like forever then eventually I will break my good habits.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    When I first started a little over 2 months ago I ate "healthy even though I craved the bad stuff". Now it seems that my taste has actually changed. Accidentaly got a bit of dark meat in my chicken the other day and I literally gagged when I tasted it. Even though the whole chicken was baked the dark meat just tasted like a glob of fatty grease to me. BEFORE all I would eat was dark meat!!
  • 12by311
    Options
    I eat what I want. But what I want has changed :)

Exactly! Love it.
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    When I first started a little over 2 months ago I ate "healthy even though I craved the bad stuff". Now it seems that my taste has actually changed. Accidentaly got a bit of dark meat in my chicken the other day and I literally gagged when I tasted it. Even though the whole chicken was baked the dark meat just tasted like a glob of fatty grease to me. BEFORE all I would eat was dark meat!!
    Isn't that weird?? I used to love McDonald's grilled chicken sandwiches. But, I have been watching my sodium lately. I had the sandwich last night and almost gagged, it was so salty.