Looking good for graduation

Options
So I'm a senior in college and about to graduate in 6-7 weeks. I'm not technically overweight but I definitely do not carry my weight well (I'm 5'3"-5'4" and 130ish pounds). Since freshman year I've gotten rounder in the face and midsection and I would really like to get back down to the weight at which I was comfortable (about 115)..preferably by graduation since it's a milestone and I don't want to have to hide all the pictures my family takes of me because I don't like the way I look. I don't expect to lose all the weight by then but I would at least like to look a bit leaner.

I've been doing Cardio X from P90X and trying to incorporate some ab work since my focus is also to tone the midsection, and I've been careful about what I eat.

All that to say: how much cardio should I be doing per day to get leaner? What sorts of exercises other than Cardio X (which involves yoga, plyometrics and kenpo) should I be doing? I have access to the school gym, so treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and dumbbells are available to me

Replies

• EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    might like this havew 27 men and 13 women need more women

CHANGED IT INTO A WOMEN VS MEN % LOSS CHALLENGE AND NEED MORE WOMEN TO SHOW THE MEN UP

COME JOIN AND INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS. WE ARE GOING OFF %LOSS SO EVERYONE HAS A CHANCE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/205113-men-lose-10-in-april-2011-challenge
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Interval training is a great way to burn fat. For a treadmill workout, alternate running and fast walking and go at a speed while running that challenges you. A typical interval for me is 5.5 or 6.0 mph running for 2-3 minutes and then walking at 3.8 mph for a minute or two to recover. And make sure you're not eating too little, since you're already considered a healthy weight, you'll want to be eating some exercise calories back and have a goal of no more than 1 lb a week.

I wrote a blog with some other good tips, there's a link below, it's the post about the 3 month plateau.
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on graduating! I finish grad school in May and will also be walking in graduation... it's been a long hard road for that Masters but I'm going to look good when I get it! ;)
  • denicka
    denicka Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the interval training tip! I have horrible endurance, I can't run on the treadmill for more than 5 minutes to save my life so I really have to work on that...and I hear interval training also helps with that too, not only fat burning...I think. I hope.

& thank you so much!! Congratulations to you on graduating soon as well! That's so exciting :)
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Interval training is a great way to burn fat. For a treadmill workout, alternate running and fast walking and go at a speed while running that challenges you. A typical interval for me is 5.5 or 6.0 mph running for 2-3 minutes and then walking at 3.8 mph for a minute or two to recover. And make sure you're not eating too little, since you're already considered a healthy weight, you'll want to be eating some exercise calories back and have a goal of no more than 1 lb a week.

I wrote a blog with some other good tips, there's a link below, it's the post about the 3 month plateau.

There's a great program that I'm doing called Couch to 5K. I'm training to run a 5K in May and it's been awesome. It really builds you up to running for an extended period of time. I'm doing this one here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml Good luck!