Do you use STEVIA as a sweetener?

Options
I am slowly reading through Isabel de Los Rios's manual for the Flat Belly Solution, much of which makes 100% sense to me and which I am slowly beginning to integrate into my life, as I think it is brilliant :happy:

Anyway, she advocates using Stevia as an alternative sweetening product. According to her, artificial sweeteners must be avoided at all cost. (read this for an explanation! http://www.thedietsolutionprogram.com/content/2010/05/how-artificial-sweeteners-are-making-you-fat/ )

I am now desperately trying to look into Stevia, and was wondering if any of you people out there use this product?

If so what do you think of it? Do you find it easy to dose it? Does it have an after-taste? etc etc…!
Would LOVE some answers and know I can count on everyone here at MFP!

Thanks y'all :bigsmile:

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Stevia works great. It doesnt dissolve very good, but sweetens very nicely!
  • iamnox
    iamnox Posts: 39
    Options
    I like the truvia one
  • Romira
    Romira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes I use Stevia quite often when I want to sweeten something. I really like it. I do not find there is any after taste. I prefer it over any other sweetener. Give it a try :)
  • sltpt3691
    sltpt3691 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have used it for about 1 year got it from the health mart at a local grocery store. I don't ever used any thing but stevia and honey.:smile:
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    yes I do...it tastes a bit off but it's worth it for me personally..i drink a lot of coffee and would be eating way more sugar if not for stevia.
  • Cashley21
    Cashley21 Posts: 15
    Options
    I like stevia in the raw.
  • mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use stevia - but in moderation. It can have a funky aftertaste so I tend to pair it with things that are more strong in flavor. I agree with not using any artificial sweeteners as there are so many problems associated with them and they haven't been show to aid weight loss. Instead, think of the stevia as a step to get you to not adding sweetener at all.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I have used it- in both the liquid and powder form (prefer the powder). It is the ONLY one I have tried without any undesirable side effects- I cannot tolerate aspartame ( instant migraine!) and sucralose - if I ingest it more than once a week- helps me get my exercise ( if you get my drift?)

Right now, I have not overcome my insatiable sugar appetite, so my "sweet tooth" isn't the least bit tricked by this substitute either. The claims that it's 100% sweeter than real sugar is pure hype ( imo)
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like Truvia (and bonus - there's often coupons for it floating around the internet!) and I also once bought a Stevia plant and used it to sweeten tea - worked great!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I use the liquid
  • motherhippo
    motherhippo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can usually find the liquid Stevia in the health food store. It works great and has no more if any aftertaste than any other sweetener.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    so which sweetener has no aftertaste at all other than sugar? Only zsweet? dang it
    I was looking up on threads about sweeteners because I have been on a carb cycle for about 3 weeks and I want some sweet coffe or coca or something. Apparently I'm going to have to go on amazon and order some zsweet :\
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia and Truvia and they are both very good! My mother has them in little individual packets which are easy to take on the go!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I use it and I like it. You only need a little to add enough sweet too. I put it in my coffee everyday and I only dip the end of the spoon in the container for 6 oz of coffee. It is very strong! It is a little bitter depending on what you use it for though. If you are going to try to bake with it, I would try Truvia instead. While it is still and artificial sweetener, it is about half Stevia so it is better than the other options out there.
  • tiggy73
    tiggy73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that link about artificial sweeteners. Very eye opening and informative!

I like Stevia. It has a little bit of a different taste, but it's fine once you get used to it. After reading that article, I will be using it all the time now!

Good luck on your journey! :)
  • ishtar163
    ishtar163 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tried to, I really did. Unfortunately, I really just cannot stand the taste. I used one packet and was so grossed out that I tossed the rest of the box. I also notice a bad taste in other generic-brand artificial sweeteners. For some reason, regular Splenda and Sweet n Low don't bother me. I still limit my consumption as much as possible, but if I must use something, it's one of those.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, I learned today, it sucks as a sugar substitute for cooking :p
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, I learned today, it sucks as a sugar substitute for cooking :p
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I bought some and when I got home and it said : KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
    I put it back in the cupboard and there it sits...lol.
  • mrswibbs
    mrswibbs Posts: 31
    Options
    I live in the UK where it is illegal for shops to sell Stevia... So am going to order the stuff online. Only using to sweeten my daily homemade cappuccino which I really cannot go without!
    If baking, I honestly think it's best to just use unrefined cane sugar wherever possible... If you're treating yourself to cake I reall don't see why you shouldn't go "full fat" :):wink: