Reality is harder . . .

suzooz
suzooz Posts: 720 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
I just tried running outside today, and it was brutal. . .

I had been using the Wii Fit Free Run, and I thought I would transition to outside. In virtual reality, I am able to run 20 minutes, get my heart rate up, and start to sweat. I feel great!

Today -- I couldn't get a decent pace. I ended up walking, and I couldn't go 10 minutes. I was totally out of breath, and had to stop prior to breaking out a sweat. I went just over 0.5 miles, and I feel awful.

Anyone else out there experience the Virtual to Reality challenge? Did I just start out to fast? Any advice for this new runner? I really would like to keep up with it!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Keep at it, it will get easier. Different kind of exercise require different fitness. I can run 10k fine, but find cycling knackering. My husband can cycle flat out for an hour, but is slower than me running and can't go as far.
    I find indoor cardio, like exercise videos, rowing machines etc, far easier than doing the real thing outside. I think it's just the difference between simulated sport and the real thing. But keep at it, as running is a brilliant way to get fit and lose weight.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    I've never done the Wii running, but I have a treadmill and had a similar experience the 1st time I ran outside. I think the surfaces can be much more brutal in reality and I know I had trouble controlling my pace at 1st. Don't give up!!! You will get used to it and if you're anything like me you wil eventually prefer running outside:smile:
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    I started out walking a block running a block walking a block until I got up to speed.
  • I am always jogging on the treadmill...quite scared to run outside because i know i will not accomplish anything near what i do at the gym. so since i live close to the gym im going to combine the two and jog to and from lol. But the terrain & wind makes a big difference
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    And hills! Don't underestimate hills.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Look on the bright side . . .

Pain is weakness leaving the body!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Thanks everyone for your support.

I think I'm just not on my "A" game today.

I got back on the horse -- I did the Wii Free run tonight for 20 minutes. I didn't do as well as far as distance, and the balance tests at the beginning were way off. I suppose I am just having one of those days.

I will try again tomorrow -- again, thanks for your support!
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Keep it up. You have already done the first step! Congrats! :)

Outdoors will always be harder. Elevation, temperature, wind, humidty, hydration, tension from the hard ground etc....
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    I have the same problem treadmill vs outside. I think because on the treadmill or the wii fit you set the pace and it helps you maintain that. Outside it is all up to you so you end up running faster than you realize and burn yourself out more.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Find a "Couch to 5K" schedule (just google C25K) and follow the program. I have been running on a treadmill, and though I have seen a lot of progress, the progress isn't constant. So I think I'm going to start the C25K soon to help me ramp up.
This discussion has been closed.