Allergy meds???

Options
cat3nv
cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
This may be too much info for you, and for that I apologize. The trees started blooming where I live about 3 weeks ago. Tree pollen makes me horribly sick. I started taking Zyrtec and began to feel much better. Except for one thing.

Zyrtec has a side effect of constipation. So for the last 3 weeks I have had a BM maybe once a week. I am not losing weight, because I have not been able to go to the bathroom. Today I took some ex-lax to relieve some pain,and I weighed myself after....... I was 3 pounds lighter than I was this morning.

What should I do? Zyrtec works best on my allergies, but I do not want to be dependent on laxatives.

Replies

• sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    same problem and Im afraid I do rely on laxatives when I have to - no more than twice a week though. Hope other people have better remedies :smile:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that was a side effect of Zyrtec! First of all, my condolences on allergy issues. I've been pretty miserable lately too with all of the pollen (+ spring cleaning!)

If I were having that many problems with Zyrtec, I'd take something else. Claritin is over the counter (and so is the generic) and Allegra just went over the counter too. I'm taking the generic of Allegra and haven't noticed any side effects. (That being said, I've been on all of them over the past few years with no noticeable differences)
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Take ground flax seed every day.
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    All Natural Laxative

Not a flavor savor but work...
    Cancer patients use this because of the meds

1 1/4 cups unprocessed bran
    1 cup prune juice
    1 tablespoon molasses or honey
    1 cup applesauce

make 18 (2 tablespoons) servings

if 2 tablespoons is not enough can use 3-4
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    No suggestion for pharmaceutical meds, but I swear by Stinging Nettle Tea. One cup has me fixed up before I finish drinking it and has absolutely no side effects. In fact, it's medicinal values for the good are amazing. By the way, I'm allergic to grass and tree pollen. You should be able to purchase it at any health food store although some grocery stores are now carrying it too (depending on which state, province and country you live in). You can always order it online if need be.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Good ideas.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    bump 4 the laxative recipe :smile: