"So, you work out, huh?"

Options
millerll
millerll Posts: 873 Member
Tonight, I stopped by my local Lowe's to get a shop vac. Yeah, I live on the edge. Anyway, while standing in the aisle looking over the display trying to pick one out, a gentleman walked up and we started discussing the relative merits of the different models. Turns out he's a contractor, so I valued his advice. I'm wearing gym shorts and a tank top, and pointing out this and that. And he says, apropos of nothing, "So you work out, huh? I mean, I can tell, you're in really good shape."

Normally , this sort of thing makes me roll my eyes. I mean who picks up chicks in Lowes? But this guy didn't come off creepy at all. He was actually pretty nice. So I told him my story, how I had lost quite a bit of weight over the last year and had worked out really hard, and that all I usually get are less than complimentary remarks about how I'm getting too thin and too muscular. I told him I really appreciated his opinion since it's nice to hear my hard work is paying off.

I finally picked out a shop vac, and as I was loading it into my cart, he offered to help, and when he went to pick up the rather large box, he said, "Jeez, you can lift this that easily? Holy cow." I'm sure he was exaggerating a bit as a compliment, but it was still funny. I loaded the box, said my goodbyes and went on my way. I've had a smile on my face ever since. It's nice to get an unsolicited compliment from a total stranger once in a while. Totally made my day!

Keep up the hard work. It's worth it!

Replies

• 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    What a great day!!!! Good for you, sounds like all your hard work is paying off!!
    Enjoy it!!!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    WTG!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Best feeling ever!!!
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like he was hanging around to get your number, but maybe didn't work up the nerve to ask! Anyway, that's awesome!
  • sarahbelle87
    sarahbelle87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how great a compliment like that can make you feel :) WTG!
  • th1nkth1nmama
    Options
    That is AWESOME!
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I guess there are some genuinely sincere people there. Definitely makes you feel good. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome story....thanks for sharing:) Compliments are sure nice to hear especially when it's totally unexpected. Wtg on the weight loss and showing up the man in Lowe's. You go girl:)
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Isn't it strange how a compliment from a complete stranger helps to put it all in perspective? I mean, they've never known us when we were really heavy or really skinny. They're meeting us for the very first time. Their impression of us is an impression with fresh eyes and unbiased opinions whereas those who've known us for so long have an entire history of comparisons built up in their minds.

Very happy for you. Obviously this moment has helped you to realize you can whole-heartedly accept yourself regardless of what those who've known you for a long time think and feel. I mean, after all, you did this journey for yourself, not them. And today, your victory of self-mastery shows.

Good for you!!
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    love the story was fun to read hope i get there.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    This was such a cute story. Good for you!! You must be doing something right! A complete stranger even said so! Congrats on your muscles! (:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!