Good advice on how to shop and what to look for thats health

Options
Is soy milk better for you then regular milk....and what dose soy taste like can anyone explain it? Going shopping tommrow and this is the first time i'm shopping healthy...any advice or tips anyone? Please and thank you!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its an alternative, which doesn't always mean better for you. When I don't want dairy I'll get almond milk or hemp milk. See if you have those available where you shop ;)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I prefer soy to regular milk--I have a weird milk phobia--the whole idea of it grosses me out. That's not to say I'm dairy free, I just never drink or use milk when cooking. I don't know if I can explain the taste of soy, but the texture is much more like water--it doesn't leave that thick (in my opinion, yucky) film coating your mouth.

I will say that if you opt for soy milk, make sure to get the LIGHT soy--regular soy has way too much sugar (and in my opnion it's too sweet).
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Almond milk tastes much better. I get the Blue Diomond Almond milk in Vanilla. it comes in a blue carton in the organic department of the store and you don't have to refrigerate it till you open it. I put it in the day before I will need to use it because it is better chilled. It is also better for you since human bodies were not meant to consume animals milk. The make up of the cows milk is too hard for the human body to break down and use that is why so many people have gotten allergies to it. If you are allergic to nuts though Almond milk would not be for you. I never really liked the taste of soy milk. It is all personal oppinion.
  • wvjanie
    wvjanie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Another good alternative is Coconut milk. I like it the best. The best Soymilk flavor wise is probably Silk. Soymilk tends to be stronger flavored than milk or coconut or almond milk. The advantage of Coconut milk is that it contains medium chain fatty acids.
  • anitanz
    anitanz Posts: 72
    Options
    I love milk! The old fashioned stuff from cows! It tastes great and people have been eating it for thousands of years so I figure there can't be much wrong with it. If you get the trim one which is fortified with calcium (here we call it yellow top) it doesn't have too many calories AND it's good for you. I would reccomend reading the labels because often the soy/ rice/ almond milk has more calories than trim cows milk so unless you like the taste or are allergic to dairy, or are morally opposed to cows milk (or just grossed out) there aren't really many good reasons to buy it.

As for your healthy shopping trip, I'd recommend fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meat and low fat milk.

Good luck
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    I drink skim milk.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    I have switched to Almond milk because of it's better nutritional benefits and it is much lower in calories and has many more vitamins. I am a true fan of it now. It does cost more but has a longer shelf life so I find that I am able to use it before it is beyond it's date.

One of my favorite low cal, healthy snacks is to use 1 cup Chocolate Almond milk, 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, and 1 cup of crushed ice. Blend well in a blender and you have a great Mocha coffee Frappe' for only 120 calories!
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I drink fat free/skim milk. I like the flavor. Soymilk was to thick and sweet for me. Could have just been the kind I got though.