Going into "the red"

Options
I just wanted some opinions on going into the red on MFP. Obviously going into the red on calories, fat, sodium, etc. is bad. I was wondering how people felt about eating extra protein or calcium???

Replies

• HeidiM78
    HeidiM78 Posts: 58
    Options
    I would also like the answer as I am "in the red" with my protein!
    This is usually a daily occurance
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    I seem to go into the red on protein almost every day - sometimes over on the calcium. My blood sugar drops once in a while, so have been told "low carb-high protein" would prevent this from happening. As for calcium, I'm 48 years old & in menopause, so any extra calcium seems like a good thing for me!:flowerforyou:
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I am frequently in the red on my protein. I don't worry about it. I figure I'm trying to keep/build muscle as I lose weight, so the extra protein can't hurt as long as I am not overeating my calories.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Your body needs calcium for strong bones, I don't worry when I'm "in the red" on calcium. Same with protein. Protein helps to keep your body feeling full and it takes more energy for your body to store excess protein than it does carbs or fat.

I feel the initial protein levels MFP gives you are low. You can customize your goals. I have mine set at 55% Carbs 20% fat and 25% protein. I also put fiber to 25 g.

You can change your goals by clicking the My home tab, Goals, Change Goals, and then Customize.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about going in the red for protein, or fiber. I am following Phase 2 of South Beach, and they encourage higher protein and fewer carbs (as long as they are whole grain). I am almost always on fat, but they are better "fats" than what I was eating. I am focusing on sodium now -- I didn't realize that I was eating so much!
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I take a 600 mg calcium supplement every day, so combined with the calcium I get from my regular food, I always go on the red. But I'm not sure how many mg of calcium my diary is set to, because it only has a percentage. I know women need somewhere along the lines of 1,200+ mg of calcium daily (especially if you're in child bearing years or menopause), so I'm not concerned with going over. My doctor told me I needed to up my calcium intake anyway!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm "In the Red" every day for fiber and protein. I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you are getting adequate carbohydrates.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Not worrying about here either. It's not like it's Fat!