Cooking Challenge: Cottage Cheese

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the twenty-fifth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from meagalayne who was the winner of the asparagus challenge.

cottage-cheese-every-day.jpg

This week's challenge is COTTAGE CHEESE.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday April 9th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    I am all over this, I just posted a recipe for a Berry Breakfast Sundae , featuring cottage cheese as the "ice cream" ill post it here tomorrow with a pic! ( I ate it all before I thought to! It was too good!)
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am all over this, I just posted a recipe for a Berry Breakfast Sundae , featuring cottage cheese as the "ice cream" ill post it here tomorrow with a pic! ( I ate it all before I thought to! It was too good!)
    I immediately thought of your recipe...lol! My hubby loves cottage cheese so I will see what he can come up with.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I guess a pot of cottage cheese, a teaspoon, a spinkle of salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper won't stand a chance but that is how i love mine. Have always loved cottage cheese but its got to be savoury.

I'll be watching the results of this for ideas
  • Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I too would like to follow to get some new ideas.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I made this a few weeks ago for the first time and was so suprised with the result I had to share it with MFP. I love it b/c strawberries are so cheap right now and cottage cheese is a great source of protein but if you are a cheese hater like me its hard to tolerate the “normal” hard cheese let alone curd-liquid kind.

This is delicious whether you love or hate cc.

Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie

½ cup skim milk
    ½ cup non-fat cottage cheese
    4 sweetener packets (originally I used 6 but have since cut it down to 4, 3 is ok as well)
    ½ tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup strawberries, frozen

Directions: combine all ingredients in blender, blend until smooth. * Serves 1.

WW Points: 3
    Nutrition: 192 calories, 516mg sodium, 31g carbs, 4g fiber, 0g fat, 19g protein.

Here is my photo;

Picture514.jpg
  • shdo4457
    shdo4457 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ohhh that strawberry cheesecake smoothis sounds wonderful!
    Im sipping on a smoothie i just made and i was always scared of using cottage cheese because i wasnt sure how it would turn out!
    But one thing I was wondering- the calories on that...
    my calculations came out much lower?
    1/2 cup skim milk- 45cals
    1/2 cup ff cottage cheese- 40 cals
    strawberries for a cup- 55 cals

so it seems like only 130- 140 ish?
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Mandarin Cottage cheese salad

Came from a lady at Church many years ago. We make this routinely and enjoy it. They also serve it at church suppers as a side salad.

Ingredients
    Kraft - Coolwhip Lite (Whipped Topping), 1 container (40 tbsp ea.)
    Walmart - Fat Free Cottage Cheese Small Curd, regular size
    Geisha - Crushed Pineapple, in 100% juice NOT syrup, 1 container (2 cups ea.) (could not find water packed)
    Del Monte - Mandarin Oranges Packed In Water, No Sugar Added , 4 oz
    Jell-O (Jello) - Orange Jello Sugar Free, 1 Package
    Add Ingredient
    Cals carbs Fat Potassium Cholestrol Sodium
    Total: 880 146 20 270 5 960
    per serv: 110 18 3 34 1 120

DO NOT MIX JELLO WITH ANY LIQUID!
    Drain fruits. (I rinse off pineapple and set to drain)
    Mix 1st 4 ingreds.
    Sprinkle Jello over top and mix
    Chill to blend flavors
    Keeps about 8-10 days in Frig. May separate, just stir to remix.

Is Tasty and we enjoy on hot days as a salad meal...or as side salad with steaks/burgers/etc. In Winter use as a desert.

We have changed it up by changing fruits/jello flavor also... is versatile. Love Kiwi/Strawberry!:happy:
    Hope you enjoy.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one! The smoothie looks delicious!
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    Berry Breakfast Sundae

Berry Breakfast Sundae!

1 Eggo FiberPlus Chocolate Chip Waffle
    1/4 c. Non Fat Cottage Cheese
    1/4 c. Mixed Frozen Berries

1. Toast the waffle until crispy
    2. Heat the frozen berries in pan or microwave until mushy and thawed but not hot
    3. Break the waffle into small pieces, top with cottage cheese and berries and ENJOY!!!

SOOO yummy and only 152 calories!

DSC03083-1.jpg
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Bump! Can't wait to get new recipe ideas... I have loads already but this should be fun. Love the protein in CC - so versatile! :bigsmile:
  • kksn
    kksn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump! I LOVE CC and can't wait to see all the recipes that are posted - always looking for more/new ways to incorporate it in the diet since it's so great for protein!
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe on the Today show using cottage cheese instead of ricotta in jumbo stuffed shells.

Ingredients: Any veggies and meat you like; tomato sauce; jumbo pasta shells; shredded cheese for topping (Recipe I saw used spinach, shredded carrot, mushroom, cottage cheese)

Directions: Follow any stuffed pasta shell recipe, substitute cottage cheese for ricotta; top with sauce and shredded cheese; bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese bubbles; serve and enjoy :)
  • sheetsofheaven
    sheetsofheaven Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump....sundae looks interesting, gonna havta try it!
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I made this for breakfast

Chocolate-peanut butter- banana shake

1 cup 1% cottage cheese-160 cals (rinsed and drained)
    1/2 cup of skim milk-40 cals
    1/2 medium banana -50 cals
    1 tbsp peanut butter-95 cals
    1/2 cup ice cubes-0 cals
    4 tbsp Ovaltine chocolate mix-80 cals

put in blender and blend

serves one

425 calories, 11 grams fat, 35 grams protein, 54 carbs

It is DELICIOUS!!!! I rinse my cottage cheese so it is not so salty in my shake! Enjoy!!
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Funny, I ran accross this topic just as I'm eating my Cottage Cheese mixed with crushed pineapple. Yummy!
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Funny, I ran accross this topic just as I'm eating my Cottage Cheese mixed with crushed pineapple. Yummy!

it is also awesome with an orange cut up in it!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    For lunch: A giant garden salad w/ balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 3 Tbsp baba ganoush, fresh pico de gallo, and a big fork! YUM!
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle mine with some cinnamon and put some Splenda in it. Awesome!!
  • nancye610
    nancye610 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump -- I love cc -- will have to watch for all of the new recipes!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    My mom always used cottage cheese instead of ricotta in lasagna (I prefer ricotta though). Hmmm.... I'll have to run the recipe through and see how healthy lifestyle friendly it is :) Or maybe I'll just make up my own recipe!