Anyone else not exercising?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone else is not exercising.

I joined the first week of January and I've not been exercising. My no-exercise loss has inspired other people in my life to join MFP and I figure any start is better than no start.

I've lost around 20 lbs, down from about 170 to about 150 by following myfitnesspal's recomendation for daily intake.

My goal was 145, when I reach that I want to go to about 135 so that I have a range I can within (130-140) instead of just one weight I have to be. (Im 5'4", 39 years old). The idea of a goal range instead of goal weight makes it so much easier to imagine getting there.

I realise that unless I want to look very flabby this summer, I'll have to start exercising. I got the 30 day shred DVD and I'm sort of looking forward to it. So please don't flame me about how I need to start exercising. I'm on board with looking better naked. I am more excited about before/after pictures for 30 day shred than I am about life after 'after', if you can believe it.

Mostly I'm interested in hearing from non-exercisers or former diet-no-exercise MFP'ers about non-exercise and successful weight loss. You don't hear much about not exercising on this site!

Replies

• PudgeMuffin200
    Options
    When I started mid january i lost 15 pounds in about 3 wks- without exercising, Then I stopped loosing so I started exercising and I continue to exercise now- but I still dont really enjoy it! lol I justwanted to look good wiht clothes on- but now Im like eek i better keep working out if i ever want to look good naked!
  • widmer3
    widmer3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm not really exercising either, but I'm strictly adhering to the 1200 calorie intake, and I've lost a lot already for my size. It's amazing realizing how many calories I used to consume when not counting. I do the 30 day shred sometimes too just to tone up. So although exercising is generally good for your body, losing weight is really 80% what you eat and 20% exercising anyway. But gaining muscle will help burn more calories, so 30 day shred is a good idea.
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've tried losing weight before without exercising and it works for a bit but then stops. This time I have been exercising and counting calories and the results have been amazing. I have heard time and again that successful weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    I started on March 14 - haven't done any "real" exercise at all! I've lost 7 lbs just by watching the calories & drinking lots of water. I agree with you that I will have to start exercising soon to look halfway decent by summer - there's only so long one can hide behind winter clothes!:bigsmile:
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You can lose every pound without exercising. 80% of your weight loss efforts are diet related. The cardio just helps it come off alittle quicker. The weight training will help you build lean muscle so that your body burns more calories daily.

Good luck to you!
  • FreyaDH
    FreyaDH Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm not exercising! I put my weight loss to 1lbs a week and i can easily fit my 3 meals into the 1390 cals they suggest a day without exercising. But it feels really really wrong not exercising! If I do a bit of exercise, I have to eat loads, even when i'm full, just to make up 1200! I quite like exercising so this is actually quite annoying for me!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Eventually you're going to have to do some type of exercise. I don't do cardio but I do strenght training and I still lose fat. You have to be able to manipulate your macronutrients very well (protein, carbs and fats) to lose when it gets close to the last 15 or less lbs of what most would consider "lean". Also you will need some kind of exercise. You will be successful for now as it is easier to lose weight the more overweight you are. Since you want to look good naked then you will need exercise later. If you can manage, look into carb cycling. It sucks on low carb days but you will have sure results if you follow it properly. I would recommend some weight training since after building muscle, it helps burn calories while you do nothing while as cardio is mostly only while you are doing the activity.
  • LettsBvegan
    LettsBvegan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of exercising at the beginning and didn't lose much so I kinda sorta gave up on it. Now I have been sticking pretty close to my suggested calorie intake and have lost close to 10 lbs. That's more than when I was doing both. I know eventually I'm going to reach a plateau and going to have to start exercising and that's fine with me. But until then I'm going to get my mind use to portions and eating healthy.

P.S. Could this be due to eating my "exercise calories" when I did workout?
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    When I started on this journey, I didn't exercise either but the more weight I lost, the more inspired I got, which motivated me to get moving with the hopes of shedding pounds faster! One nice thing about exercise is that on those days when you tend to eat a bit more, you can work off those extra calories. My doctor definately says, "Losing weight is more about your calorie intake"! 80/20 for sure!
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My lifestyle is mostly sedentary and don't consider myself on any exercise routine. However, I am trying to get more activity and less of a couch potato. For me, what's helping is playing tennis. Its a hobby that I loved years ago. Recently, I've joined two local leagues; which gets me out to play 2 to 3 times a week. Since starting MFP in February I've lost 26 pounds.

I've learned so much here. For example, I'm discovering that successful weight loss is part watching the Net Calories (logging food calories and activity calories) and part raising the Metabolism furnace (which the purpose of being active/exercise.)

However, exercising or working out does not necessarily need one to become a workout junkie. If your goal is to compete in a triathlon or compete in a marathon, then yes, exercising will prepare you for those events. If your goal is start getting healthier and lose weight, then getting off the duppah, and becoming active is a great start.

So, I'm not exactly having zero exercise. But, I'm not going to the gym or hitting the road either. For me, its all about having fun getting active.
  • LoisSmith
    LoisSmith Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did keep up the exercising for quite a while but have slacked off recently. Tho I do continue to lose since keeping up the calorie intake. Tho I have had a cold recently that has kept my appetite down . We do alot of bike riding when the weather is decent here in Indiana. Just keep at your food logs and that keeps you mindful of what you are eating. I have suggested MFP to alot of women. I have lost 10# in 2 months. Even just 20 mins of walking at lunch keeps me in the exercise mode. I have walking videos I do inside since the weather is not great here yet. I really like the MFP program.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have overall spine issues so I can't exercise regularly. I focus on food and have lost 18lbs since January. I have the 30ds and do it modified for now about every 3rd day or so. I've only done it a few times but notice increased strength and mobility. Do it when you can and remember even walking is exercising. Just move - doesn't matter if you're dancing around the house or busting up the gym. You have to start somewhere and at least you know you can lose or maintain without it.:drinker:
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    I need to firm up, but really only exercise when a) I think about it or b) went over my calories! Enjoy the journey!
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you can manage, look into carb cycling. It sucks on low carb days but you will have sure results if you follow it properly. I would recommend some weight training since after building muscle, it helps burn calories while you do nothing while as cardio is mostly only while you are doing the activity.
    I am back and forth with exercising....I'm gung ho then I flop. When I DO work out I'm all over the cardio, that is pretty much all I do. I'm not sure why but I struggle with the strength training. Maybe because I have to put more work on it instead of just getting on the eliptical or treadmill and just busting my *kitten* for an hour! I DO so want to find out what this Carb Cycling is!!!

On the other hand, as far as exercise in general....I have to in order to really loose any weight and look good. I have the same body as alllll the women in my family and we are curvy. I have never been super toned but the times I have looked my best was definitely when I was working out.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.

My husband and I have both lost about 20lbs, and we know that as we approach a healthy BMI the rate at which we lose weight will slow down (I'm losing 1lb or less than 1lb a week now) and that if we add in exercise, we will start to gain muscle which will mask any losses, at least at first. Our days of losing while not exercising are numbered. Due to our preference for slow loss, we do plan on eating back our exercise calories. So basically we expect to see very few results on the scale for an indefinite period of time.

Non-exercisers and exercisers, thanks again for your responses. It probably would be easier for me now if I had been exercising all along, but I had my reasons. I certainly don't regret learning how to portion my food and temper my eating habits, or losing about 20lbs.

Now it's going to be more about measurements, workout goals and photos instead of the scale and the minimum 1200 I get cuz I don't exercise.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm a 1200/day eater with NO exercise...or at least no formal exercise. I am a single mom and have a puppy so with taking care of house, kids and walking dog, cutting grass, shoveling, etc I figure I do get some exercise but I don't track it. I have lost 13 so far in 3 months (with Hypothyroid and Pcos....so that's pretty good). I will probably start to exercise when it hits summer and I can get out for walks/bike rides...but I am definitely not a winter person.