What are your views on SLIMFAST milkshakes??

NatashaAlexandra
NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
What does everyone think of slimfast milkshakes? I recently bought a tub of the stawberry flavoured stuff, but when I drank it - I could almost taste the vitamins/proteins etc which were in it, so I had to lower the amount of powder I put into it..

I've not had a glass of it since then, as I basically thought it was a scam and a waste of money. I wasn't going to drink it as Slimfast told me to - which would be a shake for 2 meals, then a 600 cal meal - because I could never live off just a milkshake for a meal.. So what does everyone think about it for a "snack" or maybe even replacement meal when in a rush?

Good for weight loss or bad altogether?!

Replies

• beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    I like slimfast, but it has too much sugar for my diet. SO i switched from Slimfast to EAS carbvantage solely because it has less sugar. It has only 110 calories, so I have been pairing it with something about the same in calories. I just use the shakes for breakfast, as I was never much of a breakfast eater it helps me get that important meal in.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I think you've got the right idea. :drinker:

Drink it when you have to. They do taste incredibly metallic and I'd rather eat real food so I skip them. But they will do in a pinch.
  • I know a few people who have had success with it, but the sugar in them is crazy! But as an occasional meal-on-the-go I think they would be good. =] Good luck.
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    I ususally grab a slim fast ready-made rich chocolate shake for breakfast, and I love it! If i try to use a shake for lunch or something I usually pair it with a piece of fruit or a granola bar.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    What does everyone think of slimfast milkshakes? I recently bought a tub of the stawberry flavoured stuff, but when I drank it - I could almost taste the vitamins/proteins etc which were in it, so I had to lower the amount of powder I put into it..

I've not had a glass of it since then, as I basically thought it was a scam and a waste of money. I wasn't going to drink it as Slimfast told me to - which would be a shake for 2 meals, then a 600 cal meal - because I could never live off just a milkshake for a meal.. So what does everyone think about it for a "snack" or maybe even replacement meal when in a rush?

Good for weight loss or bad altogether?!

how many calories are in the shake you're using? you have to watch the RTD shakes because the carbs are pretty much all sugar. if they're under 200 calories you could use them as a 'snack' in between meals. does the slim fast program tell you to only have 3 'meals' a day? i think that's flawed. you should be eating 5-6 small meals a day so your metabolism is constantly going.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    I never feel full when all I've had is a "shake" like that. The powder is too sweet to me and the pre-made shakes taste like the metal can they come in...I do occasionally drink GNC protein shakes prior to working out on the weekends, because I work out earlier in the day usually then during the week and I don't like working out on a totally empty tummy, but I try not to use shakes as a meal replacement. I did the "Slimfast" shake thing back in grad school and dropped weight quickly (at a time in my life when I wasn't actually overweight!) but the minute I started eating normally again I gained it all back. I think it's a bad idea.
  • NatashaAlexandra

how many calories are in the shake you're using? you have to watch the RTD shakes because the carbs are pretty much all sugar. if they're under 200 calories you could use them as a 'snack' in between meals. does the slim fast program tell you to only have 3 'meals' a day? i think that's flawed. you should be eating 5-6 small meals a day so your metabolism is constantly going.

The shakes are 230 calories, once you have mixed the powder with the milk, so I can see why they can be considered for a meal!
    The slim fast plan is to have the shake for 2 meals, a 600 cal meal, and 2 or 3 slimfast snacks (all of which are 100cals and below) - so basically it's just eat everything slimfast so they can make money haha! I would never go on the slimfast diet, as I don't believe it would work and is quite silly, but I thought I would buy the milkshake to see what it is like!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    i do the ready-made shakes sometimes for breakfast, but not daily, like others have said, too much sugar. i also find they don't make me full so i need a piece of fruit or some yogurt too.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    I recently bought the special k protein shakes and they are really good. Awesome for a quick snack that keeps me full and they only have 190 calories and 10 g of protein. I know they arent per say the best thing you can have but its quick and easy for me!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    someone on here said theyre so sugary, you may as well eat icecream and a vitamin tablet.

Theyre handy if you dont have time for a meal as an occasional thing, but theyre not particularly high protein. Dont keep you full for very long, and spike your blood sugar.
    If you want meal replacement, you can probably find a better protein shake and take a vitamin pill too which would keep you going for longer.
  • I love the slimfast shakes in a can. They are fast and convenient when you are busy or on the go. BUT... I only use them for breakfast. The key is finding food (and shake flavors) that work for you. I have found the most success with SLIMFAST when I use a shake in the morning and make sure I am eating healthy snacks all day long every 2-3 hours such as low-fat string cheese, yogurt, apple, granola bar, etc. I really like the SLIMFAST 3-2-1 100 calorie snack bars. There is a peanut butter crunch which is similar to a butterfinger candy bar. I also try to get the majority of my calories in before 6pm so that I don't have a large meal late in the day.

Recently I have switched to a soy-based protein shake which seems to have better nutritional value.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    I normally have it for breakfast but what I do is use the 1 cup milk and the one scoop then I put in a banana and 1 16 oz glass of crushed ice blend and while blending add another 4 oz of crushed ice blend until smooth makes 2 16oz classes of shake. The banana makes it creamer and all the ice makes more after drinking it you are really full
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    I started out doing the Slim Fast 3-2-1 and found the shakes and bars have too much sugar and chemicals for me. I will finish what I have but not purchase any more.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    It's junk food...

Screenshot-1.png

Edit: ok apparently i don't know how to use photobucket yet. here's the nutrional info. http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-slim-fast-i57484

34g of sugar? no thanks.

Edit2: Hooray, i got the photo link working!
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    I'd rather eat my meals. But I used to use them many years ago after my daughter was born. My doctor suggested it. I hated them, but forced myself to do it. It sucked. I would never waste my money on that crap again. My nutrition really suffered, the sugar is too high, I was never fully satisfied, and my poop and farts smelled like the shake. I know, TMI, but I'm just sayin....

I prefer a hemp protien shake if I need it, otherwise, REAL food all the time.

I think one of the problems with slimfast is that alot of people don't know how to eat real food. (Not saying you, but it's something I've noticed) They use the shakes to lose some pounds, then they go back to eating like they did in the first place. It doesn't teach anything, and it isn't maintainable in the long term. It is, however, probably better to have a shake for breakfast than have nothing at all.... but you can make your own shake with way more nutrition and way less sugar.
  • NatashaAlexandra
    It's junk food...

Screenshot-1.png

Edit: ok apparently i don't know how to use photobucket yet. here's the nutrional info. http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-slim-fast-i57484

34g of sugar? no thanks.

Haha yeah this is what I thought! At first I was like wowww lots of vitamins and healthy stuff, then I saw the sugar content I was like UH-OH this can't be right!!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I used to drink the slim fast 3-2-1 meal replacements to get some calories in on days where I was short.

Then my work started selling EAS Myoplex nutritional shakes.

They have MUCH less sugar, tons of potassium, and taste great (especially for having only 5g of sugar)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    errmm yuck! tried it once never again. id prefer to stick to proper food.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    I used to drink the slim fast 3-2-1 meal replacements to get some calories in on days where I was short.

Then my work started selling EAS Myoplex nutritional shakes.

They have MUCH less sugar, tons of potassium, and taste great (especially for having only 5g of sugar)

I vouch for Myoplex. Good nutritious stuff. I've been having 1 or 2 a day for well over a year now. I'm slowly transitioning away from artificial sweeteners now.

Everyone should know you can make your own nutritious meal replacement. Start with some whey protein, then add non fat milk, fruit, peanut butter, oats, or anything else you have a hankerin for. This way you control what's in it, and the nutrient balance.

Just because slimfast is junk doesn't mean the concept of meal replacements is a bad one. With our busy schedules, it's a big time-saver.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Oh no, does Myoplex use artificial sweetener? That would explain why it is still tasty with low sugar. :frown: I really don't like to use anything artificial if I can avoid it, I'm gonna re-read that drink label again.
This discussion has been closed.