Hey Runners! (Whether you run 10 steps or 10 miles)

Options
I'm looking for some new tips & tricks. Sometimes telling myself to "Just suck it up!" works, sometimes not. Occasionally, recalling a pleasant visual image or experience works, sometimes not. Sometimes it works to get my mind off what I'm doing by looking around the gym or whatever until I see something umm "inspirational" shall we say ...

Anyway, I'm just looking to expand my mental toolbox in case any of my current go-to's aren't working.

So .... finish this statement for me if you would, please: When I'm running and having a tough time and just feel like stopping to walk, the thought or technique I use to keep myself going is to _______________ ?

Thank you for your input. I look forward to hearing from you!

DR42

Replies

• rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    So I just started running recently (about a month-ish ago), and I'm on week 3 of C25k. So when I feel like I'm going to die while running my whole 3 minutes (lol), I think about the 10k I signed up for, with a few friends.

Having something to work towards is definitely big motivator for me, otherwise I probably would never get around to it.

Good luck!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that uploads audio books on to her ipod whenever she runs a marathon lol for me, it's really tough in a gym. I prefer to run outside. That being said, I've found myself doing all sorts of things to keep me occupied. Before interviews I tend to go through potential questions in my head, I've found myself doing math (alright, I've ran for 3 miles, it's taken me this long, how fast is that, etc), I've had times where I imagine how good I'm going to feel if I finish the run instead of stopping short...

Another option is to try to work on various parts of your technique such as your stride length, or your breathing, for the duration of your run.... also, I've noticed that when I slow down and don't run so hard that I'm dying it's much easier to keep going and I can focus on the nice day or how good it feels to be working myself. Good luck!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I watch the steps and the "miles" build in Wii Fit. I tried outside yesterday and it didn't work out so well, but I'll keep trying!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I usually start counting. Once I hit that point of wanting to stop, I tell myself to go for another 10 seconds at least. Once I reach the end of that 10 seconds, I tell myself to go 10 more. Adding on time incrementally like that doesn't feel as hard on me as, say, telling myself to run another 5 minutes.
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    Zombies are chasing you! Seriously - go at 6 am when its still kinda dark and very quite...My head thinks I am about to be kidnapped or eaten by zombies XD
    Over active imagination!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I actually have been experimenting with taking regular, planned walk breaks: http://jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how far I'm going for the day. I used to take a spin class and when we go to a particularly rough spot the leader would say "Come on! It's only 10 minutes out of your day!" (Or however long the rough spot was) So now when I run and I'd really rather get cozy with my couch and remote, I tell myself, "Come on! It's only an hour out of my day!"

If I'm going for a long run, say 10 miles, I always try to go outside for an out and back. My theory behind this is I really only need to run 5 miles of it. The next 5 miles is just getting back home. As silly as that sounds, it really works for me.
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ....to look forward to the progress I will see tomorrow. I say this to myself everytime I feel like I am going to stop. I also will tell myself, "Just a little bit more Teresa....you can make it." I always try to burn more calories than I did the day before. Yesterday, I burned 522, so today my goal would be to burn 523 or more. I start each week off with a goal and try really hard to meet it. :)
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When the weather is nice and i'm running outside I tell my self "The neighbors will think you look stupid if you quit now" It gets to me finish my run lol :)
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This sounds really sad but I do mathematical sums in my head!! When I was doing the couch to 5k I counted the number of step I took in the minute, 2 mins etc and now, when I'm struggling, I calculate stuff like steps in a marathon, half, 10k, to the pub etc etc. Anything to take my mind off it! When I'm doing the really steep hill near me it's "come on, just to the next tree", then the next etc

good luck!

B x
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Get into the music - fist pumpin' *kitten* shakin' booty groovin' on that treadmil! Tell myself "you can do it" chant harder stronger better faster longer over and over again!!!

Work It
    Make It
    Do It
    Makes Us
    Harder
    Better
    Faster
    Stronger
    More Than
    Hour
    Our
    Never
    Ever
    After
    Work is
    Over

Work It Harder Make It Better
    Do It Faster, Makes Us stronger
    More Than Ever Hour After
    Our Work Is Never Over
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, and if you feel like you need to walk, so what? Who gives a damn? If you HAVE to walk, just do it for 5 steps, or 10 then start running again. No big deal. If you know you aren't going to beat yourself up over walking then it makes it easier not to walk. Does that make any sense to anyone except me???!!! :laugh:
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to walk for a while to lower your heart rate and then resume running. I think it's called the Galloway system. In case I must go on for whatever reason, I start counting to 100. Steps, breaths, anything. It works for me.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Tell myself I can't stop til the current song is done on my I-pod. And I"ve told myself that through about 5 or 6 songs!

Saying I have to take 20 more steps, then I can reassess.

Or to the next telephone pole, certain building, whatever.

I've also found a different song on my i-pod that gives me a boost.

I just refuse to walk during a run!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Get into the music - fist pumpin' *kitten* shakin' booty groovin' on that treadmil! Tell myself "you can do it" chant harder stronger better faster longer over and over again!!!

Work It
    Make It
    Do It
    Makes Us
    Harder
    Better
    Faster
    Stronger
    More Than
    Hour
    Our
    Never
    Ever
    After
    Work is
    Over

Work It Harder Make It Better
    Do It Faster, Makes Us stronger
    More Than Ever Hour After
    Our Work Is Never Over

This was the song that went with the "hand jive" video craze on Youtube...except I can't remember the song or artist? But the words are PERFECT here! LOL
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Get some good music to listen to. For me a hard beat distracts me from the discomfort of running, and before you know it, my 30 minutes/3 miles are up!
    Once I get a bit further in my training, I am planning on adding intervals to my runs a few times a week to change things up a bit.
    Good luck!
    ~maddymama
  • DawnHeffernan
    Options
    IS "this will get easier and I will get fitter so I won't stop. Also, the faster I run, the more calories I burn and the quicker I will be home and curled up with a good book/tv/cup of tea/love of my life"
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    This sounds really sad but I do mathematical sums in my head!! When I was doing the couch to 5k I counted the number of step I took in the minute, 2 mins etc and now, when I'm struggling, I calculate stuff like steps in a marathon, half, 10k, to the pub etc etc. Anything to take my mind off it! When I'm doing the really steep hill near me it's "come on, just to the next tree", then the next etc

good luck!

B x

I actually do similar- I run on .25 mile blocks, and calculate my possible paces for running each block- so at the end of each .25 mi I check my watch and spend a part of the next quarter mile calculating my pace. :smile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I am still a newbie runner but I find that music really motivates me. And I also think of it in smaller increments--like I will literally count off seconds and then be proud of myself for getting those extra seconds in.
  • keschuh79
    keschuh79 Posts: 29
    Options
    Treadmills are the devil once you get used to running outside. There's so much more to occupy/distract you and so many more goals to set when you're outside. "one more block"...or "just get to that stop sign". Treadmill running is tough because all you've got is the clock and mileage slowly ticking away...

So if your forced to treadmill it, make sure you've got good, adrenaline pumping music to run too, or if you're in front of a tv find something that's really going to catch your interest. Or maybe play with your speeds. If you feel like petering out... slow your pace, but keep the running motion, and when your energy comes back, pick up the speed again. Or if you really have to stop and walk... raise the incline to keep your heart rate up.

Mostly just run through the doubt. Like others have mentioned, sometimes giving yourself time goals or counting is enough to get you through those "i hate this and want to stop" moments. Because if you're a runner, you know that just as quickly as those come on, you can feel great moments later.