REALLY frustrated now!

Options
I did circuit training on Tuesday night and we had a whole session using kettlebells. (Mine was 8kg). I did all the exercises properly but wasn't too bothered when my back, glutials and hamstrings were aching on Wednesday/Thursday. When the other aches went away and I was still walking like an old woman I started getting a bit concerned. Now it's Sunday and my back is still killing me! I walked the dogs for 4 miles yesterday and did some housework which didn't make it worse but running is a no-no and I'm wondering how long it will be before I can exercise again!:sad:

Does anyone have any tips? I'm sure it's muscular and have borrowed my mum's massager to try to help but if anyone has any other tips, they would be gratefully received! It's so frustrating as I was doing so well with my running and wanted to get up to 4 miles this week :grumble: :grumble:

Thanks for any advice!

Blobby (but hopefully not for much longer!) x

Replies

• az1cowgirl
    Options
    Ibuprofen!
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I take an epsom salt bath when my muscles are killing me. And I keep stretching. The "childs pose" from yoga really helps my back as well. I do it all the time throughout the day when my back is really sore.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I have a rest day and do yoga when I have strained myself too much and don't seem to be bouncing back like I usually do/am excessively sore. Good luck!
  • exercisechic927
    exercisechic927 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you have back problems I would not try kettlebells (it is also bad for people with shoulder problems).....The exercises put too much stress and load on your back. Even if you do not have a history of back problems I could see easily getting an injury (muscle pull or disk problem) from doing this type of exercise. Hopefully it will be better in a few days! I would definately still try to keep walking as it is the best exercise for your back.
  • Cgcopp
    Cgcopp Posts: 1
    Options
    Try ice. It may be a little late now, but ice is best so try it. Also try doing some gentle stretching to work out the achiness. Don't give up!! Kettlebells can be rough on the back if done too vigorously...make sure to check with a trainer to be absolutely sure you're working properly.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch those legs good,
    I use L-glutamine as well to help repair.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Take a couple of anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, advil or motrin. Take them regularly over the next couple of days and it should help take out the swelling and inflammation from your back muscles.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies and tips. I will get some Ibuprofen at lunchtime - took some paracetomol on Friday but don't tend to take painkillers. Have changed my chair at work to a fixed four legged one which is helping. i've never had any problems before with any part of my body so this is all new to me and I'm a bit shocked it has happened! The massage thing is definitely helping - going to try and use it 3-4 times a day whilst at work and will book a physio massage asap. Can't believe how much I'm missing the running!!

B x