Ideal Weight estimator

imogenboo
imogenboo Posts: 63 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I was just browsing the internet and looking at an ideal weight estimator, to see how close my goal was to the ideal weight for my height, and I wanted to see what people thought of the result...

I am 5'4, and according my ideal weight should be 110.

I thought that was quite low, and discovered it has a bmi of 18.9! Obviously thats in the 'healthy' range, but very much only just, lose just a couple more pounds and you are now underweight. One website even said 'do not aim for a BMI under 20'.

I'm confused, what are everyone else's thought on the 'ideal weight'?

Replies

• The BMI index on here told me between 107 and 145 lbs. I'm also 5'4".
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    They are like the "FDA Food Pyramid," just there as an estimate, if you really eat that way you may DIE!
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    What I do is look at the BMI charts and find a BMI in the middle (or close to it) in the "normal/healthy" range and let that be my goal weight.

My "ideal" weight is like 124, which I'm 5'3" or 5'4" and to me that seems sooooo skinny to me, especially considering the lowest I've ever been was 130-135. So I'm shooting for 135, and if I still look "heavy", I'll go for 130 and maintain 125-135 (just to give me some pounds to play with on either side for different moments in my life ya know)

ETA: The BMI thingy here recommends me being 104.X-141.X (forgot the decimal numbers). 104 sounds exceptionally small to me for someone of my height and taking the average of those two weights is 122.something, which also still seems incredibly small, to me.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    apparently a BMI of 22 is the healthiest BMI, so says my Doctor, i dont know if that helps
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    For me at 5'7" - 135lbs. Seems super low to me. I am aiming for 150lbs.
  • anakinlover
    anakinlover Posts: 109
    My doctor has always told me that he is not a fan of the BMI nonsense. We are all different, and have very different needs. Maybe a chat with your doctor or a nutritionist can put you on the right track, or at least give you an individualized plan. Good luck!
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    My doctor has always told me that he is not a fan of the BMI nonsense. We are all different, and have very different needs. Maybe a chat with your doctor or a nutritionist can put you on the right track, or at least give you an individualized plan. Good luck!
    This. The BMI charts estimates are very low, to me.
  • turpz
    turpz Posts: 21 Member
    Does anyone have the opposite problem? I'm nearer the bottom end of my ideal weight, but still got the muffin top/love handles to lose. Do I ignore the reccommended so long as I look ok? Ideally I want to put some muscle mass on after cutting the fat anyway, so would plan on the scale numbers coming back up to within the limits.
This discussion has been closed.