Is sodium bad for weight loss?

cparkes2211
cparkes2211 Posts: 16
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Seen and read a few things on here about Sodium and weight gain....please can someone advise what this is about?

Thanks

Replies

• sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    haa i was just asking this last night. i dont think your going to get a stright answer online because tends to turns into a debate.What you will here is that it makes you retain water weight...which im pretty sure is temporary
    i just started watching my sodium intake though because it was always on the back burner for me
  • Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    The theory is water always follows salt(NaCl). So more salt you consume more water will be retained in your body.
  • Taylor521
    Taylor521 Posts: 48 Member
    The important thing is water weight isn't fat weight.

All you have to do is cut your sodium down for a few days (or less) and your back to where you were.

That's my understanding.
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    First 3 posters are correct.
    Sodium is responsible for short-term fluid retention, but usually this will level off fairly quickly, unless you are otherwise gaining weight.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    also- many processed and packaged foods are high in sodium (used as a preservative)...so that is often why we go over in our sodium intake. If one eats fewer processed/packaged foods, sodium is less likely to be an issue. Keep in mind sodium is in everything (fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy, bread etc). and we do need a certain amount for our body to function.
This discussion has been closed.