Anyone Have any Ideas for my oppinion paper I have to write?

Options
55tolose
55tolose Posts: 510 Member
Why are social norms important. such as we don't stand backward in an elevator or we never cut in line or we wear our clothes right side out. or any normal everyday habits that would get us made fun of if we didn't do them? why do you think social norms are important in society and everyday life???

on another note : )

can anyone name a movie where there are two people talking and one keeps getting inturrupted by the other
Or a movie where everyone is all happy and what not and someone walks into the room and everything gets tense and silent

Replies

• HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I believe those are called "Mores":wink:
  • 55tolose
    Options
    mores? I don't think I get the joke hun. definately called norms. this is for a psychology class and the movie thing is for an interpersonal communications class
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think we all behave according to a set of widely accepted social standards and "rules" largely because there is an innate need for us to be accepted or feel part of the group. If we were to behave in a manner that set us apart (and some people do this voluntarily) it would mean risking ostracization. To many the social cost of that is scary. It just is "safer" to belong.
  • 55tolose
    Options
    WOW Nowornever that is an awesome way to say that!

*reflects on how to turn it into a 2 page paper* LOL : )
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    Why are social norms important. such as we don't stand backward in an elevator or we never cut in line or we wear our clothes right side out. or any normal everyday habits that would get us made fun of if we didn't do them? why do you think social norms are important in society and everyday life???

Looking at the way people normally act is a way of instantly identifying them as "safe" or "unsafe." It's not just us being critical...it's hard-wired into us to be wary of someone who is behaving strangely. We evolved into social beings. It's not a social advantage to be weird. You don't get benefits from being antisocial. So someone acting out of character in his surroundings is your way of judging whether or not you want to "share" with that person socially, and if he's acting weird, it's human nature to not go near them. As a mom, a good example I can provide for you is that if I see a guy, sitting at a park, who has no kids around him or with him, just watching the little girls play, I make an immediate judgment--that guy is not safe. It doesn't matter whether or not he's harmless, he's acting like a creeper and thus is not safe to be around children. But if it's something like wearing your clothing inside out, it's still the same thing: is this a safe or unsafe person? is he crazy? is he high? is he poisoned? Is he sick? Can I catch it? I should stay away. Most of this happens on a subconscious level. Anyway, I know I rambled, but that is what I learned in psych classes in college, and I hope it helps a little.

I have no movie ideas, however. :/
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    Or a movie where everyone is all happy and what not and someone walks into the room and everything gets tense and silent
    [/quote]

Try the big scene from Jerry Maguire where he walks into the party - women stop talking - he says hello and makes a speech.
    She says "You had me at hello".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK3XqGAhqaM&feature=related
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    Here's another Hollywood classic. At the end of Dirty Dancing, the singers all get quiet when Patrick Swayze walks in. Right after he says "Nobody puts baby in a corner"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97bWP33d8I
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    mores? I don't think I get the joke hun. definately called norms. this is for a psychology class and the movie thing is for an interpersonal communications class

It's not a joke. Mores (pronounced moe rays) are what you are describing. Try googling social mores. The term is used a lot in Sociology.
    Good luck!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a movie off the top of my head..... but check out an episode of "BIG BANG theory". Sheldon notoriously misses social cues and norms.

Social norms are an important way in which we gage what is normal vs abnormal. Social norms vary according to cultural groups (ie plains cree people rarely look people in the eye during conversation). So they help us interpret and understand what is normal in each cultural group.... a caucasian person speaking to the plains cree person might perceive that they are not paying attention, or not interested in the conversation. Where they might percieve the caucasian person to be rather intrusive.

An older movie that depicts messed up social norms is crocodile dundee, when he goes to New York.
    Any movie with a mental health component offers examples of social norms that are off: as good as it gets, aviator, rain man. Asperger's disorder is a common condition, which one of the primary elements is not understand social norms.

good luck with your paper.
  • 55tolose
    Options

It's not a joke. Mores (pronounced moe rays) are what you are describing. Try googling social mores. The term is used a lot in Sociology.
    Good luck!

OOOOHHHHHHH!! I see I have never been in a sociology class, and I won't be having to take one either. I had never heard the term. Sorry about that. : )
  • 55tolose
    Options
    WOW AGAIN!!!! You guys are so amazing. Thank you so so so much for the replies I appreciate this a ton I really do. Myfitnesspal friends are really great friends. I would love to hear more ideas if you have any Thanks again!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    From another perspective are the people who don't put much stock in "norms", social or otherwise. A beautiful tribute to this would be from R.W. Emerson's Journals, "Who is he that shall control me? Why may not I act and speak and write and think with entire freedom? ......" It is my favorite thing that he ever wrote, easy to google to read the rest.
    Point being, the people who I have enjoyed the most in my life have all marched to the beat of a different drummer. In fact, I believe that most of the people who changed the world in dramatic ways have all heard a 'different drummer'. By the way, I used to know a Doctor that for some reason would exit the elevator backwards. Why? I don't know. But I do know he was brilliant. :)
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Good luck!

OOOOHHHHHHH!! I see I have never been in a sociology class, and I won't be having to take one either. I had never heard the term. Sorry about that. : )

I have never taken Sociology, but whether you take it or not, it doesn't hurt to know the term...in college you will learn that any/all terms you can learn and remember, the more the better....I actually learned it in a college course of Psychology...and then in another college course called Psychosocial Aspects of Grief and Dying....there were actually about 4 different terms, norms, taboos, mores, and folkways......and they are ALL DIFFERENT, meaning that they all have different meanings/definitions......it was a tough one for us to learn...:wink:
  • 55tolose
    Options

Good luck!

I have never taken Sociology, but whether you take it or not, it doesn't hurt to know the term...in college you will learn that any/all terms you can learn and remember, the more the better....I actually learned it in a college course of Psychology...and then in another college course called Psychosocial Aspects of Grief and Dying....there were actually about 4 different terms, norms, taboos, mores, and folkways......and they are ALL DIFFERENT, meaning that they all have different meanings/definitions......it was a tough one for us to learn...:wink:

Hey thanks for the input : ) sounds like you took some pretty hard classes