filling meals?

Options
cjwolfjen
cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
Anyone know some low calorie foods that will actually fill you up? I'm looking for a larger portion of food with still low calorie intake. I can stay within my calorie goals, but my meals always seem so small. What kinds of foods can I eat that will make me feel more full?

Replies

• melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I like the Great Value stir fry veggies from Walmart. You could eat a whole bag and it will be less than 150 calories. I never eat the whole bag though, I'm usually stuffed with half a bag.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I usually pair smaller portions with Big servings of salad or steamed veggies, to fill me up. Also popcorn is a great low cal snack that you can have a huge serving of with really low calories.
  • RWeaver08
    RWeaver08 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like the corner bistro meals by Stouffer's. They come with a bowl of soup and a melt. Quite yummy. (:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    slim soup before you eat. Veggies/Salad with the meat/fish/chick :bigsmile:

good luck :bigsmile:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    hearty soups and stir fry's are some of my favorites. :) Lots of veggies some brown rice and lean meats makes a good meal. Don't drink your calories if you can help it. That will free up more calories for you to eat.
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    Bump - promise to share tonight or tomorrow :)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs are my favorite... higher fat content makes them more filling the breasts. Plus they taste much better.

I also like whole grain pasta or brown rice.... also seems to be more filling the regular alternatives.
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    bump... for later
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My favorite filling meals are always a white fish (usually tilapia) with two kinds of veggies. I usually have a more starchy veggie like potato, sweet potato, cauliflower, or some form of squash with something green like broccoli, spinach, or sugar snap peas. You can add brown rice or wheat bread if you have the calories. Cheap, nutritious, and filling!
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I LOVE making up some pasta sauce with lots of veggies (toms, mushrooms, peppers, broc, spinach) and using spaghetti squash instead of noodles. You can eat soooo much and the cals are so low in the squash compared to noodles, YUMMM. If you use premade sauce, just watch the sodium. And I am a vegetarian but eat tuna for some reason, so for some lower cal protein added, I sometimes add a can of tuna to the sauce. Sounds weird but its really good!!
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, you fill up on the veggies...along with that get 3-4 oz meat/protein, a serving of whole grain, and a healthy fat like olive oil (or butter made with it~ that's the easiest for me these days) to make you feel full at the end of the meal.

Do not eat too "low fat"~ fat is what makes your tummy feel full so ge the right kind of fat with every meal.

Green beans 35 cals per cup; baby carrots 35 cals per 3 oz, etc etc....your plate should basically be half full of your veggies and you will find that will keep you total meal around or below 400 cals.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Anyone know some low calorie foods that will actually fill you up? I'm looking for a larger portion of food with still low calorie intake. I can stay within my calorie goals, but my meals always seem so small. What kinds of foods can I eat that will make me feel more full?

I'm curious....What kinds of snacks are you eating now?

I would suggest green veggies/fruits...something high in fiber and/or whole grains...and if you are eating any kind of trailmix or anything, I would say make your own..Then you can use the recipe builder...
  • kurtestinoso
    Options
    Banana is a good low calorie filler food.. =)
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My go to meal right now when I need it to be low cal is chicken breast over a ton of lettuce and tomato, with a light dressing. I buy the Tyson grilled chicken breast, but hope to start preparing my own and freezing it instead.
    I either use a viniagrette dressing or Marzetti Light Ranch. This turns out to be under 300 calories.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stir fries with tons of veggies, kale salads, fattier meats like the chicken thighs, soups, shirataki noodles (20 cals a cup, use as noodle replacement or in stir fry), and drink a lot of water. The keys to satiety are volume, fat, and chew factor ( how long it takes to finish, chewing involved, etc). Fighting cravings and old habits is harder.
  • Crissy_jo
    Crissy_jo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas are great. Quick to make too. Just a smear of lite sour cream is about 10 calories. The tortilla shell is ~100 calories, and the chix/pepper filling is ~100 calories. I cook my chicken w/ two tablespoons of low cal Italian Dressing (25 calories) and a tablespoon of chili powder. Then add cooked onions and bell peppers. You can add lettuce for extra filling.

Eggs are a filling option. 4 egg whites, one whole egg. Top with a sprinkle of cheese and as much salsa as you want, and perhaps a bit of avocado. You can even fill up a corn tortilla or two and make it a breakfast enchilada- one of my favorite breakfast meals. Another filling breakfast option I like is the Jimmy Dean de'lite breakfast sandwiches. I think they're around 250 calories. They keep me full for quite awhile. Oatmeal is another food that sticks with me.

For lunch I like to have two slices of the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, lunch meat topped w/ tons of veggies, sweet & spicy banana peppers, mustard, and occasionally a slice of cheese. Carrot sticks on the side and a piece of fruit if I need it. I typcially save the fruit for later and eat it with a 70 calorie mozzarella stick or a handful of low salt nuts (1/2 oz) before leaving work.

For dessert I opt for sugar free pudding or gelatin w/ whipped topping. Haven't made it for a few weeks, might have to make some tonight.

My sinful dessert is a vanilla protein shake with a banana and peanut butter. It's about 250 calories, but tastes like a shake.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I eat a LOT of spinach! I find it very filling. Spinach is also considered an anti-inflammatory. :)
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I eat a LOT of spinach! I find it very filling. Spinach is also considered an anti-inflammatory. :)

Salads are a great way to fill up if done right. 2 cups of spinach is only like 41 cals. Load that up with some chicken breast or some salmon cucumber, nuts and seeds, you have a great protein filled salad that will keep you full.

Remember dressings can add a bundle of cals if they are creamy. Stick with balsamics.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My go to meal right now when I need it to be low cal is chicken breast over a ton of lettuce and tomato, with a light dressing. I buy the Tyson grilled chicken breast, but hope to start preparing my own and freezing it instead.
    I either use a viniagrette dressing or Marzetti Light Ranch. This turns out to be under 300 calories.

That sound SO good. can't wait to try it.
  • cangel81603
    cangel81603 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump:)