Should I join a Zumba class?

Options
Levedi
Levedi Posts: 290 Member
My local community center is sponsoring a new Zumba class that runs for 6 weeks. Part of me really wants to join. it sounds fun and years ago in college I took Latin Dance for gym and it was a blast.

Another part of me thinks I'm nuts - too out of shape, too uncoordinated. I'm afraid I'll embarrass myself. I'm afraid it will be too much for my already busy schedule - that's the big worry. But "no time" has been a major excuse for me not exercising in the past, so I wonder if joining a class would help keep me on track.

Replies

• ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    join join join!!!
  • rkcinwi
    rkcinwi Posts: 7
    Options
    I say yes!
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    you wont embarrass yourself !!! honestly, just go !
    I'm not thin- and I attend a weekly zumba class. most of the women in the class are not fit either... but we always have so much fun. you fee great after, it's both fun and effective exercise. I could burn the same calories on my own on a treadmill / bike (though it would take longer I think) but it's better in the class cus the dances and the music is so fun! you should really try it. :)
  • Mashisha
    Mashisha Posts: 12
    Options
    DO IT!!! I love the Zumba classes I go to!!! Lots of people lack coordination...but it's not about doing everything perfectly....it's about getting your body moving!! The class I take has all ages and shapes/sizes/fitness levels!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If I can get out there and do it - I know you can!!! It's a blast and you will burn lots of calories in the process!!
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    Do it, it's so much fun!
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269
    Options
    You should definitely sign up!!! It is such a fun class! It doesn't matter if you weigh 120 or 420! As long as you are moving you will reap the benefits! Most people in the class are not judgemental anyways so you have nothing to worry about!
  • charmsangel13
    charmsangel13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Zumba class, it really motivates me to keep going and the 400 odd calories burnt aren't too bad either. Don't worry about being uncoordinated, some of the ladies in my class just step along to the basic moves - you can go along at your own pace!! Give it a try. :)
  • daniellejg
    Options
    Other people in there will be too worried about how they are doing to even look at how you are doing. It is so much fun and a GREAT workout! You should definitely join :)
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. I was 289 when I started. There are people of ALL shapes, sizes, and ages in Zumba. It is my favorite exercise, because it doesn't feel like exercise. I was horribly uncoordinated when I started, but after a class or two, you will learn the moves. Now even new songs come more naturally, because I have learned a lot of the core steps/moves. You won't regret it if you go!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    JOIN IT!!! I went ot my first on last week, and it kicked my *kitten*! But it was one heck of a workout and my Abs were totally spent. All the jumping and dancing and swirling really gets all those muscles you dont think of using when you work out.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes!

Zumba is awesome and there are all different levels. I started out 6 months ago at the back of class getting maybe half the moves and falling completely over once :P Now I'm training to be an instructor! Everyone starts at the beginning and there is such a positive atmosphere no one will look twice no matter how unco you think you are. Also at the start do the basic version of the moves, don't do the hands, just the feet, drop out any jumps and have fun!

good luck x
  • chicadelnorte
    Options
    YES! You should go! I had never in my entire life EVER been athletic, active, coordinated, able to dance...anything like that. I went to a Zumba class and stayed in the back row at first. I've been going for a year and a half...and now I AM coordinated...I can move my hips, feet and arms at the same time and not look like a goof doing it ( I know because now I stand in the front row, in front of the mirror!) And I love exercising, which I thought was impossible. It has literally changed my life. I have more energy, feel great, and would not be afraid to go dancing in public! Oh...and I lost 25 pounds in the first 4 months!
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    YES! Join for sure! You can always modify the moves if you need to...
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    YES!! I did last week and week every day. I loved it!!