Fasting Blood Test

Options
jhardenbergh
jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
I am going tomorrow morning to get blood drawn for tests, I need to fast all night and not eat anything before I get the blood drawn. I did this 11 weeks ago the results weren't the best. It turns out I was a diabetic, but the doctor didn't want to put me on meds because I would be off of them in a couple weeks with the diet. My cholesterol was good. Nothing to worry about. My question is this, Can I not drink anything either? I can't remember if they said no water before I go. Any nurses, dr's, or anyone in the know on this that can shed some light as to what I can and can't have before the test.

Replies

• bongowillie
    bongowillie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    you can have water, did you take a glucose drink test, to check you blood sugar, was the blood test HBA1C or a daily blood sugar test.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Our guidelines are water and black coffee only. However, every doctor has different rules.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Water is OK
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    I didn't drink anything for the test they just extracted the blood into a tube and my bood sugar level was 243 after fasting overnight and in the morning the first time. I think it was HBA1C not quite sure, but for some reason that sounds familiar to me. My mom is a type 2 diabetic, so every couple weeks I will have her check me. The results have been anywhere from 100 to 150 (right after eating).
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    when I have to do a fasting before blood work, my Dr recommends nothing to eat or drink after 9pm. You may have water or black coffee. I do these every 6 months for my thyroid and cholesterol.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    you can have water, did you take a glucose drink test, to check you blood sugar, was the blood test HBA1C or a daily blood sugar test.

I just grabbed the paperwork I am suppose to bring with me. the tests are

Basic Metabolis Panel (Glu, BUN, Creat, Na, K, Cl, CO2, Ca total) was the description

Behavioral Medicine Profile (Liver Panel, Lipid Panel, Iron, LDH, Phos, Uric Acid)

Hemoglobin A1C

CBC/ Pit

C-Reactive Protein

I don't really know what any of this means, but hopefully it will help answer some questions.
  • bongowillie
    bongowillie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    the hemoglobin A1c is the HBA1C and the range is around 7, need to ask doctor on recommendation level, this shows the blood sugar for the last 3 months