Packable Lunches

Options
nibor
nibor Posts: 57 Member
I'll be starting a new job soon and haven't worked since starting MFP. Does anyone have ideas for low calorie lunches that are easy to transport to an office that won't end up soggy? No tuna, yuck can't stand it.

Replies

• gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    chicken & rice in tupperware. turkey sandwich, fresh fruit.
  • savvynurse
    savvynurse Posts: 292
    Options
    There is always the good old stand by,,,, PB&J as well as ham/turkey/chicken sandwiches. Or invest in some decent glad ware products and fix whatever you like and transport it that way. That's my favorite at the moment... Plus its reusable
  • bellawomenswellness
    bellawomenswellness Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Big container of Veggies -EVERY DAY :)
    Kiefer (Probiotic yogurt drink)
    Joseph Flax wraps filled with your favorite protein
    String cheese
    Apples and other high fiber fruits
    ... just to name a few
  • Anolen81
    Anolen81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    morningstar black bean burger, arnold sandwhich thin, kraft fat free american single; salad and 2tbs light dressing; YUM!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I usually make enough for dinner so that I can take for lunch and reheat in the micro.. protein and veggies or brown rice. Or turkey sandwich and carrot and celery sticks. Or can of light/reduced sodium soup and a piece of bread.
  • mlsmathias
    Options
    I also will be interested in what others post...I am looking to mix it up a bit with some new ideas.
    salads, chicken wraps, and left overs are some of the things I pack now along with fresh fruit.
  • crankyrobot
    crankyrobot Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always bring a salad and keep a bottle of dressing at work. You can add dressing, close your tupperware, and shake it up so it gets nice and covered. I also leave yogurts and fruit and granola bars. If you can do a black bean salad or chickpea salad that's a good one too. I often do bring quinoa or hummus sandwiches too.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I bring the same lunch almost every day but I only work part time...anyway I bring a cup of dannon light and fit 4 oz yogurt...60 cals...a have tiny tupperwares...about ice cube size and I bring a little grapenuts cereal to sprinkle in my yogurt...about 25 cals worth. then I bring a 100 cal pack of almonds...1/4 cup of blueberries 30 ish cals then an 80 calories flour tortilla with 2 tbsp of whipped cream cheese (70 cal) and some raisins that I roll up (45 cals for raisins) so in total ...400ish cals for lunch and tasty...proteins and carb...I don't eat meat so this is great for me:smile:
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I have these little Rubbermaid containers with red lids that are 1/2 c. each and they click together to make a stack. It's perfect for portioning 1/2 c. yogurt, 1/2 c. berries, and 1/2 c. granola. I think that having the right containers really does make packing lunch easier. Plus it allows me to buy bulk yogurt and just spoon in 1/2 c. instead of buying the individual portions... saves $$ and is a smaller portion, too, which is just right for me. 1.5 cups of food is usually a size that I find satisfying for a breakfast or lunch.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Salad is always good with chicken, turkey etc. Use the gladware containers to keep it all fresh and add some fruit to it.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    How about home-made low-cal soups... like chick pea and roasted tomato soup. There are lots of light recipe options out there if you google for them. Make them and freeze them in individual sized containers then you can freeze various kinds and put them in the fridge the night before, heat them up in the microwave at work, or better yet, on the stovetop at home and pack them in a thermos. Then add a baggie of carrots with low fat ranch dip, a cheese stick, or a handful of wheat thins, sugar free jello, strawberries, etc... The soup makes you feel full and satisfied. Hope that helps.

I suggest a 94% fat free microwave popcorn for the afternoon too (there are great sprinkle on top flavors for popcorn now)... If you have a microwave available. That way, even if you don't need it, you have an alternative in case you are stressed and the vending machine is calling your name.

Oh yes, if you can keep a mini coffee maker at your desk, I recommend making Oolong tea (comes in various flavors, I like Blueberry) it not only curbs cravings in the afternoon, but supposedly helps with the weight loss too. Any tea will do though. My mini coffee maker is only used for hot tea, I just run the water through the top and have the tea bags in the carafe below. I have fallen in love with tea since it is a guilt free treat. Some people say that honey helps with weight loss too, and that would be good in it, but I'm too afraid to try it since it's high in calories.
  • nibor
    nibor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas. I love the idea of buying 1/2 cup size containers. Thank you. I've had the flax wraps and make a whole chicken and love the leftovers. The ideas of black beans, string cheese and rice too. Thanks. I know I can always count on all the great people here on MFP for ideas.