Attn: Vegetarians!!! GELATIN in Mini-Wheats cereal!!

Options
I have been eating the Touch of Fruit mini wheats for a while now and tonight bought a package of the chocolate little bites. I was horrified to read the ingredients list and see GELATIN in them both!!!! Cereal is just not a product you ever expect to find an animal product like that in!!! I'm very disappointed and since I am a vegetarian I will no longer be purchasing these products. Since I was caught by surprise I figure there must be other vegetarians out there that might be as well.

Replies

• ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i hate when I eat things and then realize there is animal products in them. Thank you for the information!
  • mjg08060
    mjg08060 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    thats good to know. What the heak would they have that in there for jeeez!
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm not vegetarian but I don't eat pork products. Gelatin is a pork product unless it's kosher gelatin...that ticks me off!!!!
  • Jw9576
    Jw9576 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is surprising and although I am NOT a vegetarian, it would seem to me that a lot of products have stuff like that in them unless it specifically says, Vegan/Vegetarian.

On another note, do you wear contacts? One of my girlfriends had to stop using a certain contact lens cleaner/solution ( sorry, don't know the type off hand ) years ago because she kept getting eye infections, allergy reactions, etc.
    Turns out, it was made with a pork by product NOT listed on the bottle ( or if it was, had some other name ) and she is allergic to pork.

I guess it just means to be extra vigilant when you choose not to eat certain things....
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes, look out for frosting!!!!

My favorite... or least favorite one used to be Mothers Oatmeal Cookies, their old recipe used to have fish gelatin in it!!!! gross to read and imagine, but so glad they put THAT on the label!