Scale vs. Label discrepancies?!

Options
I might just be a tad bit anal here (or curious?), but I was just wondering -- for discrepancies between what the food scale says and what the nutritional label says, what do you guys go by?? I finally bought a digital food scale (SO handy for meats!!), and so I used it to weigh out a 1oz portion of pretzels. The label said 1oz should be 18 pretzels, but according to the scale, it's 22. I know 4 pretzels isn't THAT huge of a difference, but I don't want to be overestimating portions. Especially with chicken -- apparently my idea of a 3oz "deck of cards" portion size is a lot smaller than actual weight! lol. Thoughts?? :smile:

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Make sure your scale is calibrated, if it is: go by the scale
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If your scale is calibrated go by the scale. If you look most food packages say "about 11 chips" or whatever. So I would go by what the scale says.
  • 0oKareno0
    0oKareno0 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah, especially for things like chips the label is just averaging it out. After all, most chips are not uniform but of different sizes, so maybe the ones you weighed were just not the "average" weight that the company calculated. I'd trust the scale.
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    I use the gram measurement on the scale and look for the gram conversion on the nutrition label. My opinion is that when you measure grams you can be more precise.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ...you have to calibrate digital food scales??? lol. I don't think mine has a setting for that? hmm, guess I better weigh some coins then! thanks everyone, I enjoyed my 4 "extra" pretzels!! ;)