My first big trip while dieting I dont know what to do

Options
I have never went on a healthy vacation. Everyone is going to want to eat at all the wrong place. Chips in the car, I can handle water over soda anyday. I need some healthy ideas that I can take with me to snack on.. I am freaking out

Replies

• darknanc
    darknanc Posts: 6
    Options
    The only thing that helps me when traveling is to stay at a hotel or place that has a kitchen. That way I don't eat out all the time.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Pack cut up veggies and fruit to snack on
    If chips are what you want go get pop chips and portion them out into serving sizes.
    Nuts are good but high in calories
    Popcorn is a good choice for snack.
    Banana
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just did this a month ago. While we did eat at some awful places and I ate some awful things, I kept snacking at bay by just being busy. I also turned down desserts that were offered to me by my husband's family members. You can make good choices. If you can, check restaurant websites before going so you are armed with the safest choices :) Have fun!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    my son and I took a road trip recently and i had apples and special k bars and water in the car. and i still logged approx. what i ate and tried to stay close to goal.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    thats why diets dont work..you need an entire change in eating lifestyle.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. I can't say for sure, but I bet you've been at this long enough to know what good food choices are. First, don't think of this as dieting; this is a lifestyle change. Drink a ton of water. Pack fruits and veggies in a cooler instead of chips. Find something healthy when you go out to eat. Take it easy on the booze. You got this.

Healthy snack ideas: Any fruit, any veggie, 2% skim string cheese, Special K cracker chips or almonds if you need something salty and crunchy

Again, you got this. And don't be afraid to treat yourself.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Buy some 100 calorie packs of snacks (or make your own prior to going), if you want to have something to indulge in. Otherwise, pack some veggie sticks and fruit slices.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    As for eating while eating out make sure to ALWAYS start with salad.
    Veggies as a side.
    then go from there
    Fish Chicken as your main choices. Watch your portions cut everything in half and eat only part.
    It will be ok food is not the enemy just make good choices and when you cant thats ok too just do the best you can
    ENJOY your vacation
  • onesfun
    onesfun Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I dont know why but I feel much better. I know i can eat healthy but everyone else in the car dont. being in the confined space with that stuff, I am ok.. I got this..
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots!
    They're easy to take with you, yummy, and only 30 calories per serving!
    Also, slim fast snack bars, and special k bars too.
    Delicious, chocolatey, and limited calories!