WEIGHT LOSS AND WORKING LONG HOURS

Options
Hi,

Lately I have had to work long hours and am working up to 6 days a week (will be doing the same until mid June). Some days I can work up to 16 hours. I find when Im tired and stressed that is when I start craving packets of chips etc. and I have no motivation or energy for my workouts.

Just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in this position and if they have any tips to keep up the motivation even when work is really full on?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    it makes it more difficult to lose weight if you're lacking sleep and very stressed.

I am the poster child.
  • BMillerDBQ77
    BMillerDBQ77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't work quite as many hours in one day, but I have been working 7days a week most weeks. I have found that any time that I have free can be time doing some activity to lose weight. While I'm making breakfast, I'm packing my lunch at the same time. My lunch break is split up into 15 minutes of walking and 15 minutes of eating. I usually have another 15 minute break when I can eat the rest of my lunch or just some trail mix. The more I move, the less tired I feel. Certainly it can all depend on what type of job you work and how planned out your day can be. Time management is a good way to make sure that you can still be prepared to eat healthy, have time to exercise and still have time for yourself and family.
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    I work 10 hr shifts for 8 straight days. Then get 6 days off. I used to get tired and have cravings about 3 AM every night. I would raid the candy bowl for instant energy/sugar rush. Instead, past 4 months I have been eating every 2-3 hrs. Something lean like turkey burgers or turkey bacon on thomas low fat english muffins. Tiredness and cravings stopped. I haven't touched candy bowl in 4 months. 2 cups a coffee is also okay a night. The sugar rushes only cause you to crash and burn. skip the donuts and chocolate.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest a lunch time walk if you can get away from the office. Even it is just 10-15 minutes you will have more energy and be able to get through the rest of the day!
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just worked a 15 hour day, on my FEET the entire time. Sat down for about 3 minutes in the 15 hours.:sad: I do this every 2 weeks. I found that if I eat a really great Veggie Omelet, (made with eggbeaters), along with my regular coffee, calculated in, I get a great boost for the day. I take along grapes (for grazing as I can), 1 or 2 babybel light cheeses to have available as another protein "snack", if I get a chance, 2 sandwiches with pepperidge farm multigrain thins, lean turkey, green lettuce, (one for lunch, one for dinner), and 2 chobani fat free yogurts, I feel satisfied all day. I have the grapes and the chobani's for the sweetness, while still getting the protein in from the yogurt if I choose to eat them (somedays I do, somedays I don't, but it's there so I don't go and buy some junk food. ). Somedays I may take grape tomatoes, or baby carrots to switch it up, and I have the "crunch". I also keep a mini bag of Orville Redenbacher's 94% fat free popcorn 100 cal in the top of my lunchbag (2 sections, 1 for the refrigerated items with an ice pack) so on really bad craving days I could have salty crunchy snack. I get home satisfied, and pretty much satisfied all day! Also take along an extra coffee in travel mug, prepared from home with my measured creamer, so I can use the caffeine after 1pm. I feel like as long as I am "prepared", all the other stuff around that everyone ELSE brings in isn't tempting, and I am covered for anything and everything!:drinker:

I would like to know, though, do I get to count the extra 6 hours I work once every 2 weeks , not sitting, moving constantly, for exercise, since it isn't a "norm" day? :blushing: