Having a hard time eating enough protein

Options
Renonvme
Renonvme Posts: 58 Member
Hi!

I have been using MFP for about 30 days now. I have been having a hard time eating enough protein. I don't eat red meat or pork (only poultry and fish). What can I eat to up my protein without upping my sugar?

Thanks!

Carrie

Replies

• JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    ooh that is a hard one. I was going to recommend greek yogurt. The one that I get is Chobani Greek Yogurt with the fruit in it. Because of the fruit there is 21 grams of sugar. Have you tried doing a protein shake. I also use Jillian Micheals Whey protein, I make the shake myself, it is the mix and 3grams of sugar and 15 grams of protein and it is 100 calories. When I mix it with my skim milk it is yummy

if you do get a premade shake definitely check out the sugar. The special k protein shakes have 21 grams of sugar.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I had a hard time at first too! Now I go over on protein almost every day. Some of the best things I've found are Greek yogurt, baked chicken breast, tuna, eggs, ground turkey, or low sodium turkey or chicken lunch meats. Also peanut butter (natural peanut butter, no sugar added), I usually eat a little on celery.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You can get protein from various sources including poultry and fish. You can also get it from other meat, dairy and some nuts such as almonds. Although vegetables aren't the best source you can also get some protein from veg such as peas and green beans. Really with a varied diet you shouldn't have much problem to get your protein in.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    beans (black, pinto, etc) if you either get the dried ones and cook them yourself, or the canned ones "no salt" variety and/or rinse them before using in meals (gets rid of some the salt from being canned, also gives ya less gas lol)

peanut butter in small amounts...

low fat dairy...(although I don't know about the sugar content)

there are a lot of protein powders out there that can be mixed with water instead of milk...
  • hairspray74
    Options
    I eat string cheese, turkey pepperoni, and protein meal bars! sorry I'm out right now so I can't tell ya how much sugar is in the protein bars, I get the special k kind
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Nuts, oats, lentils and beans, fish for lunch (if, like me, you dislike tinned fish, you can always pop a frozen fish fillet in the microwave).
  • thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually have an egg or two for breakfast. Then for my am snack I have a protein shake. I get mine pre-made at Costco. They are 30 grams of protein in one shake. The rest I get from food.
  • nursemom27
    nursemom27 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A few things that I hope are helpul:
    *If you are okay with eggs, there is no higher quality protein out there. Egg beaters are a good alternative if you want to avoid the cholesterol in the yolk.
    *Nuts are also a great source of protein.
    *Greek yogurt is high in protein, but the flavored varieties can be high in sugar. You can get the unflavored kind and add fresh fruit, granola, or mix it in a fruit smoothie.
    *Cheese, especially white varities, are low or have no sugar, but lots of protein. i really like smoked gouda and provolone.
    * Tuna and Salmon are loaded with protein and heart healthy omega oils.
    *The best protein mix I've found, in regards to taste, low sugar, and high protein, is a mix found at Super Supplements. It's made by Syntrax, called "Nectar" whey protein. Lots of different flavors (but I do NOT recommend the green apple. Strawberry Kiwi is good.) It has just 90 calories a serving, 0 sugar, 0 carbs and 23 grams of protein.

Good luck! :-)
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    whey protein ftw.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just bought some whey protein at the bulk store ($15/lb compared to $30 per pound I saw at a supplement store) so I could try it and see if I like it or not, but regardless if I like it or not I'm likely to go back to eating hemp seed for the protein and essential fatty acids. Haven't had hemp seeds in ages due to get some soon though.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    chicken turkey and fish are PACKED with protein and are low cal as long as theyre not breaded or battered. I sometimes get those little packets of ready cooked chicken pieces and have them with salad and get a good protein hit that way.
    Or protein shakes are good too
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have been using MFP for about 30 days now. I have been having a hard time eating enough protein. I don't eat red meat or pork (only poultry and fish). What can I eat to up my protein without upping my sugar?

Thanks!

Carrie

boneless skinless chicken breast
    greek yogurt
    protein powder
    salmon
    eggs/egg whites
  • jgover
    jgover Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    1 cup garbanzo beans 14.5 grams
    1 cup pinto beans 12 grams
    1 cup refried beans 15.5 grams
    1 cup soybeans 28 grams
    1 oz. cashews 4.4 grams
    1 oz. peanuts 6.5 grams
    1 oz. sesame seeds 6.5 grams
    1 oz. pistachios 5.8 grams
    1 cup tofu 22 grams
    1 cup lentils 18 grams

1 avocado 10 grams
    1 cup broccoli 5 grams
    1 cup spinach 5 grams
    1 cup peas 9 grams
    1 medium artichoke 4 grams
    1 cup asparagus 5 grams
    1 cup beet greens 3 grams
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't eat very much meat at all. I get more than enough protein each day from milk and cheese without trying. As long as you are not lactose intolerant, just have a glass of milk with meals. Milk fills me up and keeps me feeling full longer too.
  • Renonvme
    Renonvme Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do eat Greek Yogurt, cheese and eggs a lot. I also have been trying to eat more nuts and soy. I just can't seem to get over 90 grams very often! I've always been slightly anemic (can never give blood), so it's an extra concern of mine. I'm not a milk drinker and don't really like beans, though I do eat them occasionally. We eat a lot of chicken, turkey and fish. I'll just have to keep working on it.
  • bluk30
    bluk30 Posts: 37
    Options
    @sleeplessinsparks - How much protein are you trying to take in a day? By the looks of it you shouldn't need any more than 100g at the most.

Don't get caught up in the hype of "low carb", overall calories are the only thing that really matters.

100g protein + 30g fat + 200g carbs = about 1500 calories
    250g protein + 30g fat + 50g carbs = about 1500 calories

Both of these will bring you the same weight loss results given a proper exercise protocol, but keeping your carbs up will keep you sane! (and help your pocketbook)
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    @sleeplessinsparks - How much protein are you trying to take in a day? By the looks of it you shouldn't need any more than 100g at the most.

Don't get caught up in the hype of "low carb", overall calories are the only thing that really matters.

100g protein + 30g fat + 200g carbs = about 1500 calories
    250g protein + 30g fat + 50g carbs = about 1500 calories

Both of these will bring you the same weight loss results given a proper exercise protocol, but keeping your carbs up will keep you sane! (and help your pocketbook)

Bluk is right, as long as you are eating less than you are burning you will lose weight. Protein has the added value of making you feel full on less, and it does have a thermic advantage, but ultimately it still comes down to calories in versus out.
    It's like the "perfect world" idea, in a perfect world, I'd only eat raw organic foods, but I don't. In a "perfect world" you would eat 30-50% of your calories from protein to lose the most weight, but you will do just fine if you don't live in the "perfect world". The main focus has to be on your overall calories.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    On days that I don't eat any type of meat (usually chicken), my go-to's for protein are fat free cottage cheese or fat free plain yogurt or a hard-boiled egg.

I'm sure some will argue with me on this one, but after hard workouts a swimmer's secret recovery drink is fat free chocolate milk. It provides a good source of glycogen and protein for muscle recovery. I only drink one serving (8 ounces) and it satisfies my sweet tooth!

Off-topic here, but to the guy with the rollerblading Batman in his signature, thanks for the laugh. That picture is hilarious!! :laugh:
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning! Look at my diary!

Chocolate Protein Powder
    Banana
    Almond Milk
    Ice

BLENDDDDDDD So yummy!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Look into some protein powders.
    Scivation whey is pretty low cal and low sugar I'm pretty sure.

One shake will give you between 20-25 grams so thats a huge help.

I also eat a lot of eggs. Remember dietary cholesterol isn't neccessarily going to affect blood levels.