So I want to run a marathon... Is this a realistic goal?

Options
I want to run the Rock and Roll marathon its mid Nov... I just started C25K and its going well... But is running a full marathon in 7 months realistic, if you are a new runner?

Replies

• cheerfuldreamer
    Options
    Totally!! I trained with a program, Team in Training, a branch of LLS. The program gets runners, even newbies ready usually in a little under 6 months. With the right program, support, and proper training it is totally possible.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd start with a half-marathon first, before you try and tackle a marathon. It's a pretty massive jump going from 5K to marathon. The advice I have received about when to tackle a marathon is that it's best to have a good solid base of about a years training under your belt, of consistent training and decent distance. I'm not saying that you can't do it though. I'm training for my first marathon at the moment, and I've been running solidly for over a year, with several half-marathons in there, but I have to say I find the training quite daunting at times. I have to just look at the next little step. :) Hope that helps.
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd start with a half-marathon first, before you try and tackle a marathon. It's a pretty massive jump going from 5K to marathon. The advice I have received about when to tackle a marathon is that it's best to have a good solid base of about a years training under your belt, of consistent training and decent distance. I'm not saying that you can't do it though. I'm training for my first marathon at the moment, and I've been running solidly for over a year, with several half-marathons in there, but I have to say I find the training quite daunting at times. I have to just look at the next little step. :) Hope that helps.

DREAM KILLER... lol im kidding... You make a good point... Maybe ill try for the half this year and the full next.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING is possible with the right attitude mate.

You want to run a marathon. then run it.

focus on running for longer everytime you head out. like any other training, improving every session should be your goal.
    no forget you can train in other ways too...rowing and stationary bike can also help you out. especially rowing.
  • loverunning11
    loverunning11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon with only 3 months of training! So, I would say...yes! Go for it! :)
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that a good year lead time is good. The training program I followed was 18 weeks long and the first long run was 6 miles. I wanted to make sure that 6 miles was easy and that I had done that a number of times in the months leading up to the 18 week training period...even running 7-8 miles a few times before then.....your legs have to be used to the pounding etc of putting real miles in so you train...over use injuries suck..suck suckity suck suck...so....if your cardio vascular ability is good and you can comfortably run 6-8 miles 5 months ahead of time I say go for it...if not I would say give yourself a few extra months so that you can enjoy your marathon....if you do this right you will be hooked and be a runner for life...if you force something you "Can" do it but you may never lace up the shoes again.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm totally not wanting to be a dream-killer! I do hear ya... But just talk to an experienced runner or coach who can perhaps give you tips about your running style and to make sure you'll make it there and enjoy it, without getting sidelined with an injury as Kelsully said. Running injuries suck, I'm trying to manage mine at the moment, as I train for my first marathon- which is probably the biggest reason why I'm erring on the side of caution. :smile:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    There is completing a marathon and there is running/racing a marathon. The former can be done while undertrained, but it will make for a long day and you may never want to do it again. No reason to rush to do a full, build your base and enjoy the other distances along the way.

I always suggest new runners have a 20-25 mile per week base for a few months before starting an 18 week marathon training program.

My street cred = 22 marathon and countless halfs and shorter races.

Good luck!
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone... maybe ill strive for the half marathon. im sure that will still be an epic win for my fat butt. lol
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    you can totally train for a marathon in 7 months! i trained (barely) for the philly half marathon in 3 months, without having run a 5K or other race before. i say barely because i didn't run for one month prior to the half-marathon (due to b-school priorities), and the farthest i'd ever run during training was 6 miles (!!). but somehow the energy of all the cheering crowds and the excitement of the runners gave me the momentum i needed, and i emerged with no injuries. i don't advocate training as little as i did, but i wanted to highlight that anything's possible if you put your mind to it. :)

in addition to determination, running a marathon is definitely possible if you train in a safe manner. i highly recommend the run/walk method by jeff galloway (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/index.html), which vastly reduces the risk of injury, and you really get a boost in energy after walking for 1-2 minutes. it's amazing how much endurance and energy this method gave me during the half. i also suggest going to a running specialty store so they can fit you with a shoe type that's best for your feet shape and running habits such as overpronation, etc.

wish you all the best!
  • princessdrake
    princessdrake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first 10K and want to keep doing those throughout the summer while training for a half marathon in November. My goal is to do two halfs, the one in November and one in March then keep on running to train for the Marine Corps Marathon in Oct 2012!! I'm a new runner too, but I think if you keep up with the running and training for long distance that you could set a goal of a marathon for next year!!
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can most definitely train for a marathon in 7 months. It will take a lot of dedication and motivation. Find a plan and stick to it. Only a rare genetic freak of nature can run a marathon with little to no training. I just ran a 15k on Sunday and was very, very happy with my results. The way I felt after the first 7 of 9 miles though, I don't think I was in good enough conditioning to run 19 more miles.

I highly recommend that you get the right shoes for your body. Many running stores will video tape you running on a treadmill with different shoes on to look at the angle of your knee and ankle. I did this and was shocked to see that I tend to run on the inside of my foot and not the outside. This completely changed my shoe choice. I have put about 200 miles on these shoes and have no hip, knee, ankle, or foot pain. All you have to pay is full price for the shoes. They don't charge for the consulting.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I have no street cred, so take my advice for what you will. I have been running for about 3 years now and I've done my fair share of 10 mile and shorter races. I am training for a half at the end of the month. I trained for an October marathon last year but was sidelined by a stress fracture.

That being said, I think you can definitely finish the marathon in 7 months- BUT you run the risk of being more likely to be injured in the process and if you love running, that's no fun at all. If you go that route I would definitely suggest joining a club or a team such as team in training. I think maybe a 1/2 marathon would be a better goal that may not tempt you to push it too far too fast and wind up with an injury that would ruin your goal.

And- no matter what anyone says- a minimarathon is not "half" of anything or "mini" at all. It's one heck of an accomplishment that anyone should be proud of.
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I didn't run a marathon but I walked one all I can say is practice, practice and get those miles in, the las t5 I walked on the day were the hardest I have ever walked. Good luck to you. Also Daily Mile is a good site to log your runs and get support and encouragement.