Healthy snacks to make upto minimum calories?

Options
Hey!

I am finding that my meal plan is really hitting more like 900 cals from what I would have said was 3 good sized meals - wondering if anyone has suggestions of what are some good snacks to make up some extra calories in a day?

I am trying to eat all my calories this week and see what that does to the scale - since joining I have realised just how few my eating plan had and to be honest my wgt has been a bit frozen for most of this week! (yeah, it is still early, so I am not too woried, really experimenting at the moment and seeing how I feel and what the wgt goes with different plans) - sorry, bit side tracked there... so yeah - what do you guys have for healthy and potentially calorie filled snacks?

Bridget

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Nuts, hummus, greek yogurt...some of my favorites. (:
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    how about a protein shake, or low fat string cheese, yougurt, turkey...those are some that i like...
  • Mredwards12
    Mredwards12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you feel about fresh fruit; but I find that Bananas and grapefruit are great calorie fillers. :wink:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    you could esily make up 300 more cals with an apple, a banana and a yoghurt maybe
  • taylorbailey46
    Options
    You shoud be eating every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism going. Eating 3 "good sized" meals a day with snacks in between is going to overload your metabolism because your meals aren't consistent. When you get your body in a routine of eating similar size meals every 2-3 hours it will get into the habit of digesting the food regularly because it has a basic idea of the amount of food you're going to be bringing in and how often, therefore your metabolism will be on a constant cycle. You want your "meals"/snacks to be about 25 grams of carbs and 2 grams of sugar. I usually don't count calories because every now&then that one snack that you think is healthy because its low in calories is sometimes very high in sugar, and every one knows what happens to sugar...it gets stored as fat if you don't burn it off. Some things that fall into that 25 g carb/2 g sugar area are...serving of triscuits,a yogurt cup,handfull of almonds, Parrillo protein chew bars (go to Parrillo's website to order.They have a lot of flavors&are very yummy), a pack of peanut butter crackers, a hot dog (without the bun), and of course any fruits/veggies.That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Really, just watch out for all of these snacks that claim to be healthy.You'd be suprised, just because they're low in calories doesn't mean they're healthier. Just remember to read the food label!