Getting your spouse / partner to exercise with you

A number of people on here have mentioned they'd like to get their spouse involved in their workout routine. One post even suggested tricking one's husband into it! (wouldn't I love to know how to do that).

I'd really like my boyfriend to come to my yoga class with me, but he's hesitant. I have tried pointing out to him that the class is taught by a man, and comprised of about 40 % men. I've also made the argument that many of his favourite NFL players -- probably the most macho guys on the planet -- do yoga and pilates to help stretch and condition their muscles.

My final salvo was that a Toronto Argonauts player showed up the other day and was sweating it out right next to me. When he heard that, he spent spent a few minutes telling me the Argos suck, and then agreed he would try it -- in fact, he would "DOMINATE" it (I tried explaining that it's really *not* competitive, but . . .)

I showed him some postures (a basic sun salutation) and his reaction was, "No way! I am not doing that in public!"

He understands the fitness benefits and he is very supportive of me, but once again, his machismo is getting in the way. Am I asking too much for a very manly man (and believe me, I do appreciate this) to spend 90 mins. doing downward dogs and channelling his inner tree?

Replies

• A number of people on here have mentioned they'd like to get their spouse involved in their workout routine. One post even suggested tricking one's husband into it! (wouldn't I love to know how to do that).

I'd really like my boyfriend to come to my yoga class with me, but he's hesitant. I have tried pointing out to him that the class is taught by a man, and comprised of about 40 % men. I've also made the argument that many of his favourite NFL players -- probably the most macho guys on the planet -- do yoga and pilates to help stretch and condition their muscles.

My final salvo was that a Toronto Argonauts player showed up the other day and was sweating it out right next to me. When he heard that, he spent spent a few minutes telling me the Argos suck, and then agreed he would try it -- in fact, he would "DOMINATE" it (I tried explaining that it's really *not* competitive, but . . .)

I showed him some postures (a basic sun salutation) and his reaction was, "No way! I am not doing that in public!"

He understands the fitness benefits and he is very supportive of me, but once again, his machismo is getting in the way. Am I asking too much for a very manly man (and believe me, I do appreciate this) to spend 90 mins. doing downward dogs and channelling his inner tree?
  • The best solution!!!! <<<OR YOU GO WITH ME OR NO SEX FOR A WEEK>>> it doesn't help usually with my hubby but you can still try it lolllll

Just trying to be funny:laugh:

Good luck
  • Egad! I suddenly realize why I perhaps have less leverage with him than with previous guys. I could *not* pull that card on him and actually stick to it.

So, yoga or no yoga, he's a keeper!
  • And, um, I hate to be the one to bring this up, but why is SEX not listed under "cardio" ??? It's not under "intercourse," either. Disappointing!
  • And, um, I hate to be the one to bring this up, but why is SEX not listed under "cardio" ??? It's not under "intercourse," either. Disappointing!

oh diappointed too :brokenheart: although it's the most that's been done as a good workout in our house other than cleaning:tongue:
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    I dunno, my viewpoint is, if he doesn't feel comfortable doing yoga, don't try to force him...but what you could try is this....ask him to come with you ONCE. And tell him, after that, if he genuinely did not like it, you'll never ask him to go again. And on the flipside, if theres some activity he likes doing that you aren't into or didn't want to try, you could agree to join him in that...I dunno what that would be for you, or if there even is anything. But just a thought.
  • i never had a problem getting my hubby to come excercise with me...but i chose something i knew he wouldn't mind doing, right from the start. I didn't try to make him do what i wanted, i just figured that if he wanted to support me, we should do something we both like, so it is a good experience for us both. No one wants to do something they don't normally do.
  • Good suggestions. Mostly I want him to come because I really enjoy it and think he would, too.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Got my husband to do yoga, although he's not a macho type, so it was easy for me. He likes it more than I do - every once and a while, I'll go biking with him
  • I wish I could get my hubby to do anything...he has sarcoidosis which is in his lungs and makes any type of exertion very hard on him. I understand the disease and the consequences but he won't even try to walk to the end of the street. I told him that I would do anything that he wanted to get him mobile and getting some of the weight off but so far no go. He put on over 80lbs due to prednisone....any ideas?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I wish I could get my hubby to do anything...he has sarcoidosis which is in his lungs and makes any type of exertion very hard on him. I understand the disease and the consequences but he won't even try to walk to the end of the street. I told him that I would do anything that he wanted to get him mobile and getting some of the weight off but so far no go. He put on over 80lbs due to prednisone....any ideas?

Tai Chi? Stretching? Shopping? I don't know anything about the disease, but I would try to get someone very resistant to exercise by doing things they enjoy.
    Like going out to eat? Don't pay for parking if in the city or purposely park far away.
    Like theater? Go to an outdoor play where you have to walk across a field.
    Like surfing the net? Always place the computer chair somewhere else. A swooper chair (search it if you are interested) is a huge investment, but it works your core muscles.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    My husband goes to the gym with me 3 days a week. Sometimes I love him being there and others, he drives me nuts. He is my trainer and I love him dearly, but it's hard to check out the cuties when he is there.
    Good luck getting him to go with you.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Serenity,
    Speaking as a guy your hubby may be afraid that he can't make it that far so he won't try because he thinks you will be disappointed in him. Try encouraging and praise foranything that he is able to do even if it is just walking out the door to the mailbox.

As a person who had a family member with serious lung disease I know that most people don't know how hard it is for them to breathe.

I'd suggest that he consult with a MD about exercises that he can begin with. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    I wish I could get my hubby to do anything...he has sarcoidosis which is in his lungs and makes any type of exertion very hard on him. I understand the disease and the consequences but he won't even try to walk to the end of the street. I told him that I would do anything that he wanted to get him mobile and getting some of the weight off but so far no go. He put on over 80lbs due to prednisone....any ideas?

Do I need to restrict my level of exercise?
    There’s no need to restrict your activities simply because you have sarcoidosis. If you become out of breath, stop and rest, but there is no reason to stop participation in athletic activities

found this at the clevelandclinic.org
  • Mary...good ideas!! Normally it is the "woman" who shops...oh no he LOVES to shop...I should send him to the mall more often with just his license to "window shop" :happy:

Dhays- Thank you...I am going to work on that. I try to praise him when he does even the little things. Even vaccuming takes him out for a couple of hours but I am so proud of him when he does it.

Icandoit- I will send him that article...I think he is also so sad and depressed that he is limited that it is a vicious circle that he is having a lot of trouble breaking. I told him that he is responsible for his health, and I am his cheerleader....(scary thought that one...eww the visual) :sick:

I am so glad that we have the people here that we do.....

Thank you everybody :flowerforyou:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    My husband is a really big guy (ex-college football player). He has a huge appetite and has to work out to keep up with his weight. He plays in a basketball league once a week and does spinning and boot camp, but never did anything zen-like. He works in the sports world, so he's always in that male driven, competitive field. I love yoga... so when I asked him if he wanted to join me, I invited 2 of his friends at the same time. After a bunch of teasing each other, they agreed to come ONE TIME. Now every Sunday morning they are all there, and they really like it! It's so fun to see them branch out and try new stuff.

Good luck!!!

oh diappointed too :brokenheart: although it's the most that's been done as a good workout in our house other than cleaning:tongue:
    I count sex as cardio :blushing:
    at healthstatus.com you can calculate the calories for foreplay or sex
    and at fitwatch.com you can calculate calories burned in sex based on intencity :wink:
    try it out:blushing:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    And, um, I hate to be the one to bring this up, but why is SEX not listed under "cardio" ??? It's not under "intercourse," either. Disappointing!

That's my fault!!
    When my screen name was skinnier_me, I added sex/intercourse to the exsecise data but when I changed my screen name to healthier_me, the site deleted all of the foods and exercises I added to the database... sorry :ohwell:
  • Drat! Well, thanks for trying. :)