Breastfeeding

Options
Hi,
I had my second (and last) child 5 and a half months ago and am now desperate to get rid of my baby weight as I've realised I can't get into any of my summer clothes and can't afford to buy new ones! I'm still breastfeeding him but he's now on solids as well. This calculator said I'm allowed 1200 calories a day, but I'm always hungry and I don't want my dieting to affect my milk supply and harm my little boy. Anyone know how many extra calories I should allow? I don't think this website takes breastfeeding into consideration.
Thanks

Replies

• Hikaroo
    Hikaroo Posts: 16
    Options
    I had been told by my lactation consultant that breastfeeding uses 300 calories.

Though, you may not have to add calories. Maybe just add foods that are higher in fiber, or even spread them out more throughout the day. Smaller meals more often will help you feel fuller throughout the day than just having three meals a day. You could also substitute with things that have lower calories too.

You could also add more vegetables that have no calories, that could help fill you as well.

I hope whatever you decide works for you.
  • Enaz29
    Enaz29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Im breastfeeding and dont have problems with 1200 calories a day. Im eating more vegetables, for example tomato and cucumber salad.
    Also low fat yogurts and cottage cheese.
    Good luck! :)
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    You are right to be concerned about getting enough calories...if your body doesn't get enough fuel it will go into "starvation" mode and your supply will suffer. Breastfeeding burns 300-500 calories a day. I have an 8 month old (my 3rd) who is also on solids, so I put it in as 300 calories. With a 5 month old, you could probably do 300-400.

Your account won't adjust for breastfeeding automatically, so you can either put it in as a custom exercise or add it to your food diary. What I did was create a custom meal; so I have Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, and Breastfeeding. Then add a food and search the database for "breastfeeding" (or make your own food). I use the one in the database that is "Breastfeeding, 6-12 month infant"

This is a better plan IMO (even though it doesn't make any sense to have negative calories from a "food" :P ) because it also shows you the extra fat, carbs, etc that you should be eating.

HTH!