Sodium!!

Options
Someone mentioned to me to track my sodium as a way to monitor water weight bloating!

I am amazed at how quickly one can go WAY OVER on the recommended amount of sodium per day... I think it is 1500... does anyone know?

Replies

• sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    Someone mentioned to me to track my sodium as a way to monitor water weight bloating!

I am amazed at how quickly one can go WAY OVER on the recommended amount of sodium per day... I think it is 1500... does anyone know?
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think it's 2,000-2,400. Since I do not have any blood pressure problems I eat 2,000 generally, but if I go over I don't really worry. Generally mine is not over 1,500 though.
  • tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    Options
    MMMMM! Sodium in the form of potato chips! I could go way overboard with those! I have a love affair with salty foods! :heart:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    2200-2400 is recommended if you're healthy. Under 2000 if you have High blood pressure. I try to keep mine under 1600 because I do have HBP.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I went to a USDA site and got the following info:

Sodium - less than 2,400 grams
    Fat - 65 grams
    Cholesterol - 300 grams
    Carbs - 300 grams
    Fiber - 25 grams
    Protein - 50 grams
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I gave you that tip. The Mayo Clinic website suggests everyone attempt for between 1200 and 2400mg a day. I know that is slightly lower than some gov't recommendations in various countries, but I just know that ever since paying attention to my sodium levels and trying to keep them under 1200 if not under 2400 I've broken a plateau and lost weight more steadily. Cheese, processed and canned foods, deli meat and regular salsa are HUGE culprits. When I first started watching my intake I thought it was ridiculous that I could even come close to 1200 (and we eat really healthy, unprocessed, whole foods!) but I manage to keep it under about 1500 most days of the week. For you and your Aug 2nd deadline it may really help. :flowerforyou:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    How do you guys keep yours so low? I'm ALWAYS over a LOT. I know the salsa that I use to cut my salad dressings and the pickles don't help, but even on days I don't have those I'm still way over. Cheese and frozen meals aren't helpful...nor are pre-packaged foods (Lean Cuisine, etc.). What do you guys tend to eat on a regular basis and how time efficient is it to make the foods?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am amazed. I ate the following foods so far today and have almost hit the 1200 mark.

I can only imagine what I was eating before MFP!

Strawberries - Raw, 2 small
    Kellogg's - Special K Protein Plus, 3/4 cup
    Blueberries - Raw, 10 berries
    Publix - Skim Milk, 0.75 cup
    Carrots - Raw, 1 large (
    Grapes - Raw, 15 grape
    Toufayan Bakeries - Tomato Wraps, 1 wrap
    Homemade - Light Tuna Salad W/Pickle Relish & Lite Mayo, 1/2 cup 3g 0g
    Dole - Romaine Lettuce, 1 cup
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    How do you guys keep yours so low? I'm ALWAYS over a LOT. I know the salsa that I use to cut my salad dressings and the pickles don't help, but even on days I don't have those I'm still way over. Cheese and frozen meals aren't helpful...nor are pre-packaged foods (Lean Cuisine, etc.). What do you guys tend to eat on a regular basis and how time efficient is it to make the foods?

I completely cut out prepared foods and most if not all processed type foods and all canned foods. I do eat cheese but in very small amounts. I don't eat out alot anymore. And I don't add salt when I'm cooking and now usually don't even add it after cooking.

I also avoid sandwich or deli meats.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

As shorerider said, I also have a diet of almost exclusively whole foods. For example, yesterday I ended up with just over 1000mg of sodium and here's what I ate:

breakfast: organic oatmeal with blueberries, flax, soy nuts, cane sugar, natural peanut butter, 1/2 a banana

snack: 1 square of dark 70% bittersweet organic chocolate

lunch: 2.5 cups of pan-seared patty pan squash with 1 serving light feta cheese, 1/2 whole wheat pita toasted and dipped in homemade hummus

snack: 1 square of dark 70% bittersweet organic chocolate & 1/4 cup fresh blueberries

supper: spicy peanut stir fry (rice noodles, tofu, broccoli, red pepper, mushrooms, peanut sauce homemade: water, rice vinegar, bragg soy extract, honey, peanut butter, garlic & ginger)

The funny thing about my supper is that my FAVOURITE take-out is at this amazing restaurant called the Noodle Box. I was craving it but the sodium and fat are crazy high so I made my own and it was FABULOUS (and cost way less).

It's also amazing how quickly the salt in food becomes SO obvious. I never added salt after cooking and I only added a fraction of what baking recipes called for, and only if it was necessary for the chemical reaction... but if you can get your levels down a little you'll see a big difference :smile:

I do notice that if I have something salty I'm thirsty for a couple of hours now.
    Good luck!!

added: I definitely spend a little more time in the kitchen in the last 7 weeks of being here on MFP, but that's more because I wasn't eating regularly than because of what I'm making. Although it was mostly whole foods before, now it really bothers me when I don't know every ingredient that has gone into something. What am I putting in?? So I love making my own foods and it's totally worth the little extra time. Usually the same price or less expensive as prepared foods too.
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the tip... what a difference I notice... went low on sodium. Then ate a Subway 6inch low fat sub... THIRSTY!
    Once work picks back up in the fall, we cook at home in the evenings...

Aug 2nd isnt so hopeless now~ According to the scale at the gym, I am at 124.4. Which is 10 pounds down officially. I was at 122-123 when I left to get married... now with the dress let out a bit, it might be a little loosey goosey... I can't win!!!!

Off the sodium topic, I have increased and focused on strengthening and stretching more core muscles, low pelvic and hips... what a difference in how I feel...
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Fat - 65 grams
    Cholesterol - 300 grams
    Carbs - 300 grams
    Fiber - 25 grams
    Protein - 50 grams

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have access to medical literature, so 500 g of sodium per day is what your body NEED.
    Up to 1000 g is TOLERATED by human body without any negative effect.
    Average American diet is 2000-2500 g (4-5 times more than we need!!!!!!!!)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

Fat - 65 grams
    Cholesterol - 300 grams
    Carbs - 300 grams
    Fiber - 25 grams
    Protein - 50 grams

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

You're very welcome!
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    I have access to medical literature, so 500 g of sodium per day is what your body NEED.
    Up to 1000 g is TOLERATED by human body without any negative effect.
    Average American diet is 2000-2500 g (4-5 times more than we need!!!!!!!!)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/55372.php

In an effort to improve the health of everyone in the United States, organizations like the American Heart Association urge us all to cut back on salt. But there really isn't a one-size-fits-all recommendation for daily sodium intake. If you are under age 50, your blood pressure is in a healthy range, and your health is good, you probably have little reason to worry about salt intake. A lower-sodium diet is good for people who are older, who are of African American descent, or who have high blood pressure or diabetes. These folks should limit their sodium intake to no more than 2,300-2,400 mg a day. People with heart failure or kidney disease are advised to keep their sodium intake under 2,000 mg a day.

When I set up my goals here at MFP, it set my sodium level at 2500. I changed it to 2000 due to water weight issues and found it VERY hard to stay under that. I reset it to the 2500 & make sure I drink plenty of water during the day and my weight loss has been consistant.