First 15 lbs. gone. What about new clothes?

Options
So I actually have a pretty big, nice wardrobe, but over the past few years, I've slowly gotten rid of all my size 6s and 8s, since I have been 160-17? lbs. (size 10 / 12 / 14, depending) for 3 years.

Now that I've lost 15 pounds, I'm noticing a lot of things are much looser on me. Jeans & pants, especially. At some point, I will have to start buying some new clothes.

For those of you with big successes--when did you buy new clothes? Did you start picking up pieces here & there to get you through, or did you just wear baggy clothes until all the weight was gone?

I don't see much point in buying a bunch of size 10 stuff if my ultimate goal is to get back down to an 8. But then I don't feel great when I'm wearing ill-fitting baggy clothes, either.

Please share your experiences!

Replies

• AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would say get a few key pieces like jeans and few blouses and then go on a shopping spree when you hit your goal!:)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Hit up second hand stores for clothes as you don't know how long you'll be in the new clothes anyway.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've been picking up some staples in charity shops - plain black trousers, for instance.

I did treat myself to some new dresses yesterday, since I'm only a pound off my target weight! See new profile pic :-)

But I did almost weep when I did a bit of space-clearing in the wardrobe and found some good quailty items that I hope never to wear again!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I wore my baggy clothes until I lost 45lbs. Then I bought a whole new wardrobe and literally threw out everything in my closet and drawers.
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    I would say get a few key pieces like jeans and few blouses and then go on a shopping spree when you hit your goal!:)

This!! Or buy something, like a nice dress, a size smaller and use that as a goal, to get into it! :)
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'd go to a Thrift store. They are cheap and sometimes you can find some nice stuff! I think about when I go through my closet getting rid of things that I don't wear, I toss out my crappy clothes and I'm usually giving away things that I never or rarely wore for whatever reason.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have been getting a few key pieces as the seasons change. Also, I have been shopping second hand stores for my jeans. You can often find some really great, almost new pairs for cheap. (My secret is to always go to thift stores near nicer areas of town, lol.)

If you already own expensive clothes you love, especially a great pair of pants, it is often cheaper and easier to take them to a tailor for alterations. I have also seen threads on here from people with advice for altering your own clothes, if you know how to sew!

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I only bought stuff that was on sale, and I bought new pants about every 10 pounds. I find that shirts you can get away with having them a bit looser. I also had a ton of clothes from my sisters (who are both smaller than me) so I just took from that stash when it began to fit.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    At 30 lbs. lost I finally had to get new clothes. My old pants were literally falling off of me! Purged whole closet, sent to charity and picked up just what I needed to get through until change of seasons and more weight lost (ultimate goal is another 30 lbs.). I'm hoping I won't be in these for long!
  • gamecockmama
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs. prior to starting MFP, and I say go ahead and buy some new clothes! I would go ahead and get a new pair of jeans (or 2 if you find them on sale), and get some tops or dresses that you can belt or have a wrap waist that you can still wear if you lose some more weight. I do not believe in wearing baggy clothes that don't fit you. A big part of the reason we lose weight is to feel better about ourselves, and I think it's hard to feel good about yourself if you are looking in the mirror and still not liking the way your clothes fit. Also, you can always buy pieces that fit you now and get them taken in later when you lose some more. In a nutshell, I say don't go overboard but at least buy a few staple pieces that fit your weight now. Congrats on losing the 15 lbs. and keep up the good work!
  • mmildice
    mmildice Posts: 63
    Options
    I started buying things her and there after about 20 pounds lost. I still need to buy things but am too afraid to spend the money and not get a lot out of them. I do believe that I am done losing since I am below my goal weight. I am excited to buy all new summer clothes. I got rid of all of them :happy:
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    WHILE I was losing, I shopped at Goodwill (quite a lot, actually), You can get some really good deals and the clothes I bought were in good shape. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on clothes I really only wanted to wear for a short time. That way, I had the money to buy them when I did reach my goal.

I had lost about 30 pounds before I went and bought something new that actually fit me. That was when people really noticed I had lost weight. I knew this was a journey, and while people said, your clothes are getting too big, I knew I didn't want to spend a lot of money until I was where I wanted to be.

I actually still go to Goodwill from time to time -- especially if I need clothes for painting or doing yard work.
    Kaye
  • hairspray74
    Options
    Love the goodwill tip, I'm a goodwill shopper too (especially since I work next to one)!!! I've lost 24.4 lbs and some of my jeans are loose but most still fit ok so I'm not buying anything until I need to but I will do it all at the goodwill and second hand shops, I'll wait to go to cato's, maurices, pennys and sears for when I hit my goal!!!!
  • tiggy73
    tiggy73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My plan is to probably hit thrift stores along the way to my goal, or if I buy new clothes, maybe get things that can be taken in. Also, with summer coming up, you can get away with looser flowy dresses. A belt around the waist of a loose shirt and paired with an inexpensive pair of leggings can go a long way too.

My point is, I personally wouldn't spend a bunch of money on new clothes until I get to my goal.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Luckily, my spring / summer wardrobe is a lot of skirts & dresses, so those don't look so weird when they're a size too big!

I might give the thrift shop a go today...
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ebay can be pretty good to!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    Options

But I did almost weep when I did a bit of space-clearing in the wardrobe and found some good quailty items that I hope never to wear again!

I can see this coming. I've actually spent a lot of time, thought, & $$ collecting a wardrobe that works really well for me. I'm hopeful that, once I lose all this weight, I can sell a lot of it on eBay and buy some new stuff without breaking the bank. I am usually a clothing donator, but I can't buy new clothes if I don't have the $$ for them!
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If your stuck buy some nice chunky/slim belts and put it around your waist this will give you shape and make your old baggy clothes look less unfitting.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I put off buying new clothes until it really was a necessity, and then I tried to wait for the best sales/coupons I could find. I'm pretty sure I have not paid full price for anything I've bought in the past 6 months.

My best advice is to buy lots of separates that can be mixed and matched to create several different outfits. Don't go overboard on clothes until you're close to or at your goal weight. It really does suck to have to clean out your closet and toss or give away nice things that you only got to wear once or twice. Yes, losing the weight is better, but I cringe when I think of the money I've spent on clothes that I can't wear anymore.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    Options
    Okay, I checked out the local thrift store & can say there was very little selection.

It was worth a shot, I guess.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!