How do I lose weight ? Silly question you may think...

Options
Hello everyone. I'm wanting to get down to a uk size 8, but I have a huge problem and I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong. Right now I'm a uk size 10, 23 years young, I'm 5ft4 and I weight 132lbs right now,

I work in the morning part time and also at night part time, im on my feet in work constant as its active, and I walk to the train station four times everyday Monday to Friday which is an hour at the end of the day of walking to the station.

I burn around 1500 - 2000 calories a day says my pedometer and sometimes I use jump rope to exercise as I like the results for 30 mins per day. Not sure what that burns? And Im using a vibration machion at the sunbeds recently for two months now.

I eat around 1000-1500 calories a day and then I can binge eat which I don't understand why I binge eat, which I've watched closely and can be up to 3000 calories. I've never binged eating in my life Intill I started skipping with my ropes for maybe 30 mins to - 1 hour per day. Now 3 year later I still binge eat when I feel I'm doing well and eating well. Confused?

What I want to know is how do I lose weight safely?
I burn alot of calories daily, am I eating enough?
I enjoy exercising so do I keep doing what I'm doing?

Can anyone give me advise or know what I'm doing wrong,
Thanks looking toward to reading replys x

Replies

• cbarks
    cbarks Posts: 3
    Options
    for as much calories you are burning u should eat 1500 to 1800 cals a day ...your body needs a certain amount just to survive so if your bodie feels starved its going to store the fat instead of losing the fat>>>> good luck!! you can do it
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more, and binge less. Exercising is great, but you have to fuel your body so make sure to eat those calories. Also, I suggest taking measurements instead of just weight - you're relatively small, so weight might fluctuate a little bit, but the measurements will be more telling. Good luck!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Here is the deal. If you are walking to and from the station four times a day, that is your routine. It does not count as exercise. I know! Please don't shoot the messenger. It is part of your everyday lifestyle, your body gets used to that and it no longer has the impact that it used to.
    You should set your calories here to active, because you have an active job and diregard the calories you burn on your pedometer during work. You should be eating your calories that are allotted on MFP.
    I didn't go and look at your food diary so no comment on food.

you are close you a normal body weight, I am 5'4 and 132 would be very small on me. That being said if you want to tone up and be more fit, the weight will not come off by the pounds. You should focus on losing about a 1/2 lb or less a week. Maybe incorporate some weights to carry while you walk, that could help with some toning.

Best wishes to you.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I would say that you binge because you're not eating enough. Your body thinks it's starving, and is holding onto fat.

I would say, set your activity level so it accurately reflects that daily 2000 or so burn - at the very least, 1800-1900. Probably active. Then set it to lose no more than half a pound a week, and make sure to eat every calorie you get.

The calculation I use for ideal body weight is 100lbs at 5 foot, then add 5lbs for every inch. Then +/- 10% for a small or large frame. You can judge this by your wrists - 6 inches or under is small, and, iirc, over 6.5 is large. For me, at 5'5 and a half, that gives 115lbs, which will, I predict from 125lbs, leave me at a size eight.

Remember that if you have more muscle, you will be physically smaller but weigh more.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I also have an active job and walk to and from work / home / the train station several times each week. Up until now, I've been logging those walks as cardio, but this week I'm not logging them. I figure I've been doing it for 5 years without losing weight, so my body is used to the routine. It's now part of my daily activity. This week I'm only logging intentional workouts, (and of course staying around 1200 net calories).

If you're eating 1000 calories and burning 1500, that puts you at -500 calories for the day. You can't live on that! Your body thinks it's starving. You would need to eat another 1700 calories to get up to 1200 net. So, adjust your activity levels and make sure you're eating enough to fuel your body through your day & workouts.