P90X Rest Week

Options
This is really not a question for those of you doing the full P90X program, but for those like me who have completed the program in the past and are now using select portions. I did P90X over the winter, but now that the weather allows I'm getting my aerobic exercise outside (running and cycling.) I have continued the strength training portions of P90X but when I get to the rest week I always flinch (I did this same pattern last year.) Do I really need a rest week? I don't see people at the gym taking rest weeks from strength training. I'm all for "muscle confusion" but doesn't just switching the exercises each three or four weeks do the same thing? I do take one full rest day from all exercise each week. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• bkm406
    bkm406 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body! You will go up and down and as you develop muscle you need to keep up the change in work outs. Your doing the right thing.
  • veggeslady
    Options
    You need a rest week if you want the results so on rest week mix up your cardio and do not do any weight lifting.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This is really not a question for those of you doing the full P90X program, but for those like me who have completed the program in the past and are now using select portions. I did P90X over the winter, but now that the weather allows I'm getting my aerobic exercise outside (running and cycling.) I have continued the strength training portions of P90X but when I get to the rest week I always flinch (I did this same pattern last year.) Do I really need a rest week? I don't see people at the gym taking rest weeks from strength training. I'm all for "muscle confusion" but doesn't just switching the exercises each three or four weeks do the same thing? I do take one full rest day from all exercise each week. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

I did still workout but my own exercises not the P90X ones, and the workouts were not as intense, as recovery is important
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    Personally, I haven't used a "rest week" with incorporating more cardio with P90X as the weather has gotten warmer. Listen to your body. I believe at least one rest day a week is needed for recovery, but if you are doing a lot of strength training, a rest week every 3 weeks or so helps confuse and rebuild your muscles. I use P90X 3x a week and then my own cardio circuits the other 2 days. The point of muscle confusion is to surprise and grow your muscles, so always always always switch it up! Change up your workouts, challenge yourself with one tough week, then do a rest week of cardio, core work, and yoga. Confuse your muscle machine again with another routine. It's all up to you what you do, but a body loves variety!
    Keep up the good work!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you who have responded with thoughts and suggestions. I was hoping for a variety of opinions to help me zero in on a personal plan. Right now I am considering skipping the rest week after phase one and going straight to phase two. The way P90X is set up you continue the leg and back routine even in the rest week, so we are only talking about two strength training routines. History tells me that something (work, family, etc) will interrupt soon making me miss two or three days, so I will get some rest time in addition to my normal weekly rest day. Thanks again. I'll check back later to see if there are any new posts.