Is walking doing anything?

Options
I can't run outside, but on the weekends I don't have anywhere to go but outside for work outs. I tried running a mile, but it didn't work. So I walked it instead. And while I was walking I wondered if it was really doing anything for me? How far/fast should walking be in order to get a good work out?Or can you get a good work out with just walking?

Replies

• melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I don't have a definite answer, but all I can say that if you really want to run, walking is a great start. I mean before 2011, I couldn't run for one minute straight. In January this year I started walking 17 min mile for one hour every day, increased speed to 14-15 min mile, and nowadays I can keep up 10 min mile for about 35 minutes. I'm really excited to keep improving my times :)

I think that in general walking does help, it's better than nothing. And if you fasten your pace and do it for longer times it will be even better. Of course you'll burn a lot less calories walking than, say, running.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I can't run outside, but on the weekends I don't have anywhere to go but outside for work outs. I tried running a mile, but it didn't work. So I walked it instead. And while I was walking I wondered if it was really doing anything for me? How far/fast should walking be in order to get a good work out?Or can you get a good work out with just walking?

IMO, you should try something like running for 30 seconds then walking for 5 minutes... then running for 30 seconds, and walk for 5 minutes for.... for maybe an hour...

after 3 or 4 days, , increase the running by 15 seconds followed by 5 minutes of walking..... you will be amazed at how soon you will be able to run longer periods of time