?? Too large of weight loss

Options
I justed weighed in, and I have lost about 5 lbs since a week and a half ago.

So I'm thinking I need to up my daily minimum for calories? The thing calculated for "lightly active" before, and I don't feel that I am that active, I sit in front of the computer allot. lol. At work I am on my feet for most of a 13 hour day, but that is casual stolling and only 3 days a week.

Also could it just be water weight? I've been trying to keep on top of drinking enough, but I'm out at my mums and her house is always fairly dry.

Suggestions welcome!

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's too bad. Your weight can fluctuate, so it could actually be low. Your moving in the right direction, so I say keep doing what you're doing, drink water, etc.
  • Anna19911
    Anna19911 Posts: 141
    Options
    If this is within your first month of dieting then 5 pounds is fine. You will not most likely see these results every week....
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    You should eat your calories from exersise back! on days i know i'm going to the gym, i log my exersie in the morning , then have bigger meals those days!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I agree, it should be fine. In 33 days I have lost 10 pounds, even though I figured my calories for a 1 pound a week weight loss.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You should "according to some (not all)" eat your calories from exercise back!
    Fixed for you!
    I've done fine (as have 100's if not 1000's on here) without eating exercise calories back, I've lost 107lbs (7 and a half stone) in six months without any issues (been pretty enjoyable on the whole), whats the point in doing all that exercise just to eat it all back lol, defeats the whole point! :noway:

I've tried eating exercise calories back a few years back when I was trying to lose weight, on the whole it was a disaster, lost way way way less weight than I have this time round. proof is in the pudding as they say :bigsmile:

One big point to remember on this site (the same on all sites) is that everyone has different views, NONE of them are 100% correct (even mine!) even with "so called" proof, some things work better for others etc, but all I will say is this without trying to sound big headed at all (I'm not big headed at all! far far from it!): I've lost a LOT of weight using a method which has worked superbly and which is totally safe, unless someone comes along that has lost more weight than me in the same time frame I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Always listen to the people that have lost a lot of weight on this site (this is what I have done), you can't go very wrong!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options

So I'm thinking I need to up my daily minimum for calories? The thing calculated for "lightly active" before, and I don't feel that I am that active, I sit in front of the computer allot. lol. At work I am on my feet for most of a 13 hour day, but that is casual stolling and only 3 days a week.

Also could it just be water weight? I've been trying to keep on top of drinking enough, but I'm out at my mums and her house is always fairly dry.

Suggestions welcome!
    @morganadk2
    Ok, REALLY? She didn't say anything about exercise calories, if she is working out or if she is eating them. This doesn't answer the original question at all and is not the answer to every question on these boards. Please read and provide accurate feedback or don't comment at all. I'm just saying! :devil:
    You should eat your calories from exersise back! on days i know i'm going to the gym, i log my exersie in the morning , then have bigger meals those days!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit
    This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    @Allegra, if this is the first time this has happened, don't worry about it. I lost 3 lbs last week and didn't work out at all. Sometimes your body just has more room to give up lbs. You may see a small loss next week to make up for this larger amount. Also, it's been a little longer than a week so you are probably going to even it all out soon. Unless you are losing 5 lbs every week I wouldn't worry about 1 higher weigh in. You will eventually hit a low loss week or even gain so it all balances out in the end. Congrats on the loss!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Suggestions welcome!

Most likely water weight. It's normal and it won't happen every week.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Fixed for you!
    I've done fine (as have 100's if not 1000's on here) without eating exercise calories back, I've lost 107lbs (7 and a half stone) in six months without any issues (been pretty enjoyable on the whole), whats the point in doing all that exercise just to eat it all back lol, defeats the whole point! :noway:

Because MFP gives you a calorie deficit. Those calories burned during exercise aren't part of that deficit. You probably lost a lot of precious muscle mass. That lean muscle mass is what makes our metabolism. Now this doesn't completely apply at larger weights because you have plenty of fat stores. But as your weight drops your body will want to protect those fat stores and it will dig into muscle mass for it's fuel. It is a survival response. Your metabolism slows and when you stop the calorie restriction your body will gain fat more quickly.
  • AllegraWilliams
    Options
    I always add in my work out though, and it adjusts my "remaining calories" so I thought that was what i'm doing?? Or am I not??
  • FK1983
    Options
    Fixed for you!

Because MFP gives you a calorie deficit. Those calories burned during exercise aren't part of that deficit. You probably lost a lot of precious muscle mass. That lean muscle mass is what makes our metabolism. Now this doesn't completely apply at larger weights because you have plenty of fat stores. But as your weight drops your body will want to protect those fat stores and it will dig into muscle mass for it's fuel. It is a survival response. Your metabolism slows and when you stop the calorie restriction your body will gain fat more quickly.
    Sorry but no, I have got loads of muscle now, honestly, this is the most muscle I have ever had (arms, legs, stomach, back etc, getting very defined), I've been putting loads of muscle on, I've been losing fat (been tracking it with fat/muscle monitors etc),

I know what your saying regarding muscle mass and fat reserves but it isn't always as cut and dry as that, depends a lot on your protein intake weather you keep/lose/gain muscle while trying to lose fat.

BMI was over 39, it's now 22.4 :smile:
  • FK1983
    Options
    I always add in my work out though, and it adjusts my "remaining calories" so I thought that was what i'm doing?? Or am I not??
    Just go with what your happier with, both ways seem to work, some say some, some say others, I was just pointing out that eating your exercise calories isn't always the answer to faster weight loss.

If you need any help send me a message, I always try and help when I can :)