Favorite salad ingredients??

Options
I posted this question to my MFP friends, and got some great responses...looking for some more!

I love salad and I want to eat more of it, but I definitely get bored with it too. I do change up my dressings which helps, but does anyone want to share their favorite salad ingredients?

Two of my typical go-to salads: spring mix with tomatoes, scallion, mushrooms, and cucumbers with a light vinaigrette dressing or spring mix with fruit (whatever is in season...right now it's been strawberries and Clementine segments) with a poppyseed dressing.

Thanks and hope everyone has a great week!!
Jennifer

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I love sweet things in my salad. It goes so well with a tart dressing like balsamic vinaigrette or italian. Love grapes or craisins, raisins, pineapple chunks. Yum!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Peppers!! Green or red, plus I love banana peppers....only a couple as they are super high in sodium!
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Anything as long as I have my favorite Ken's Steakhouse Fat Free Raspberry pecan dressing on it!
  • MaryS910
    MaryS910 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I had a salad for supper last night. It had organic mixed baby lettuce (comes in a package), mushrooms, celery, green onions, tomato and cauliflower in it. I made it in a plastic container and put it in the fridge so I can eat on it for a few days. Since it was my meal last night, I added chunks of Havarti Cheese and a few cut up strips of Soule's chicken fajitas. I topped that with some red wine vinegar and a bit of avocado ranch dressing.

I left the veggies, except the green onions, fairly chunky sized so I would feel like I was eating something substantial instead of something with the consistency of Pico De Gallo or Coleslaw.

Pretty basic salad but it was delicious.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I'm obsessed with a southwestern style salad lately...salad mix (or young spinach), tomatoes, cucumbers, black beans (i like mine soaked, rather then canned to avoid sodium), veggie burger patty and salsa as dressing. Its very delicious!!!!! and low in calories and full in flavor :)
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    I just posted a really good salad at my blog http://kristen-foodismyfriend.blogspot.com It is VERY good, low cal, and you can change it up with different veggies. Enjoy!!
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    - a bit of corn and black beans! great protein!
    - feta cheese (just a little)
    - kiwi
    - black berries and raspberries
    - fresh basil
    -almonds

yummmm
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My favorite is baby spinach, onion, strawberries, tomatoes, feta, walnuts topped with Greek dressing. If I have them, I throw in some cucumber and carrot too.
  • smashmay
    smashmay Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    spring mix, feta cheese, pecans(i prefer toasted) and a raspberry vinaigrette. soooo good!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to salad:

mixed baby greens
    cherry tomatoes
    chopped walnuts
    dried cherries
    fat-free feta cheese (or bleu cheese)
    balsamic vinaigrette dressing
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I love putting onions egg sunflower nuts no salt a tbsp of bacon pices pepper chives a little garlic and kens steakhouse light onion dressing!!!
  • krklstephi
    krklstephi Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love having snap peas, thinly sliced radish, craisins, and avacado in my salad :)
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    baby romaine
    avocado
    green onions
    grape tomatoes

+ whatever protein I feel like ... chicken breast or tuna or boiled egg

Sometimes I'll add a 1/3 cup of chickpeas or kidney beans.

I switch up my dressings for variety. My current favourite is President's Choice French dressing.
  • belzie
    belzie Posts: 5
    Options
    I had a great salad last night. The salad was a package of lettuce with strawberries added. The yummy topping was mayo, honey, cherry juice and poppyseeds mixed togeather. Yummy!
  • jpsnickel
    jpsnickel Posts: 68
    Options
    Amazing ideas!!! Can't wait to go home and make a running list of everything!! Keep the ideas coming! =)