Self Tanning

Options
LemonCitron
LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
Hey everyone!

So we all know that tan skin makes you look slimmer than pasty white skin. And while I do love having pale skin I really like having tan skin even more. BUT I'm not willing to tan outside or in tanning beds because I don't want cancer or to look old before my time.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about going out and being active in the sun but I just like to make sure I'm wearing sun block and I'm not going to be laying out JUST to get some colour.

That said, I was thinking about getting into self tanning this summer. I have never bothered before because it's a lot of work, kind of scary and not worth it to me if I was never showing off my body anyways!

BUT I'm hoping that will change this summer!! A few more months and I think I'll be a lot closer to bikini ready. Definitely shorts and a tank ready!

So here is a website I found on self tanning, and it has A LOT of awesome info.

http://www.sunless.com/application/step.php

And I was also hoping to find the perfect sunless tanner as well. I have no problem paying a lot of money for something, but I have to know that it is going to be worth my dollars. But I'm also hoping there are cheap options out there as well because I'd rather not have to spend lots of money (I'm already doing that on food! Lol, but it's worth every penny)

So are there any veteran self tanners out there? Any tips for me and anyone else who might want to start tanning?

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I heard Mary Kay has an excellent self tanner.
  • jaydensmommy2010
    jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have tried many self tanners. My problem with them is the smell. I can't stand the smell of them even after hours of applying them. I haven't had any luck with any self tanners. I have done tanning beds for years, but have stopped so I am pasty white and hate it!!! haha I wish I knew of a self tanner that worked well for me also!
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    I use BeachSexy by Victoria's Secret. I've used Nutrogena before, but it kind of turned me orange. BeachSexy has never turned me a different color and I love love love it!
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried the spray tan you can get at tanning salons?
  • katy5692
    katy5692 Posts: 140
    Options
    I use a self tan mousse which is a take-off of ST TROPEZ.

It's called ST MORIZ and it is actually amazing. Online like £2.99 a bottle- I don't know if you'll have it in the US.

I just apply it at night with a mitt- then sleep in it and wash it off in the morning. I use it on my face and everything.

If you look at my picture- I tanned the night before :) I am naturally so pale! :P
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    http://makeupalley.com/product/searching.asp?CategoryID=17&brandname=&Brand=&title=&submit=Find+Products

I always go to this site to look up product reviews.

I have tried a few

Niveah (sp?)
    Jergens Foaming
    L'oreal Sublime
    Hemp

I remember one making my legs look good inside, but outside they looked a bit orange/streaky.

Remember to exfoliate! Part of my problem.
    I also would recommend wearing gloves, like surgical gloves while applying that way your palms don't get orange and then carefully do your hands/fingers etc....
  • LemonCitron
    Options
    I have tried many self tanners. My problem with them is the smell. I can't stand the smell of them even after hours of applying them. I haven't had any luck with any self tanners. I have done tanning beds for years, but have stopped so I am pasty white and hate it!!! haha I wish I knew of a self tanner that worked well for me also!

I heard that Garnier Summerbody is supposed to have a nice smell to it. It's one of those gradual tanners.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Organic airbrush tanning, like you get done in salons, is awesome! I would definitely reccommend it to anyone. Just make sure you chose a reputable salon that uses/carries high quality products. After all, you do get what you pay for!
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I use bath and body works "solid gold" tanner... amazing I got 3 in the buy 2 get one free deal they always have and one bottle lasts me a month and cost $10 :)
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    Hey girl!! Definitely check out the salons near you, and look into the prices of their spray tans!! My sister works at a salon and the results are AMAZING....and no harm to your skin!!! :)
    You should be proud of yourself!!! Keep up the great work!
  • katy5692
    Options
    Honestly- i swear by ST MORIZ and so do all my friends.

& it's soooo cheap! :bigsmile:
  • xerinx2011
    xerinx2011 Posts: 222
    Options
    I agree with the st moritz!! Its fab!! I use the spray tho rather than the mouse and it works amazing!!
  • jaydensmommy2010
    jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Does it have that bad fake tan smell?
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I've tried the mystic tans at the tanning salons and hated the results. unless you have a base tan already it can come off as very streaky and blotchy.
  • katy5692
    Options

Does it have that bad fake tan smell?

I does when you first put it on- but i put it on at night-sleep in it- then wash it off in the morning.... after then I don't notice a smell to be honest :D
  • katy5692
    Options
    I agree with the st moritz!! Its fab!! I use the spray tho rather than the mouse and it works amazing!!

I saw the mist spray for the first time today :P But i'll just stick with my mousse... works for me :)
  • xerinx2011
    xerinx2011 Posts: 222
    Options

I saw the mist spray for the first time today :P But i'll just stick with my mousse... works for me :)

Ive not seen the mouse around here... i may have to have a looksy when my spray runs out!!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I use BeachSexy by Victoria's Secret. I've used Nutrogena before, but it kind of turned me orange. BeachSexy has never turned me a different color and I love love love it!

this stuff is the best. I don't think they sell it online anymore but its amazing and I sometimes see it in stores and when i do? I stalk up like crazy. its called BeachSexy flawless airbrush spray by Victoria's secret. only 12 bucks a can ! and its amazing People wonder how I stay so dark and this is how!
  • LemonCitron
    Options

Where do you buy it? I'm Canadian, FYI. Do you have any pics of you wearing it?
  • LemonCitron
    Options
    Hey girl!! Definitely check out the salons near you, and look into the prices of their spray tans!! My sister works at a salon and the results are AMAZING....and no harm to your skin!!! :)
    You should be proud of yourself!!! Keep up the great work!

Thanks!! You're so sweet!

Don't you think that would get a little expensive though? I don't want to spend too much :D Although getting someone to do it for you would be MUCH easier!

I'm super acne prone though... I'm kind of worried about that too.