Weighing Chicken, Fish, Meat etc

Options
Do you guys weigh your chicken, fish, meats before or after cooking. I eat a lot of chicken and have noticed that after it is cooked it weighs less. When should one be weighing these, before or after cooking?

Replies

• laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    I always weigh before
  • wmubuffettfan
    wmubuffettfan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It depends on which nutritional information you are using. If you are always using the ones that say "raw" then weigh the meat before you cook it. If you are using nutritional information for pre-cooked foods, then you need to weigh it after.
  • Plustin
    Plustin Posts: 1
    Options
    after. We are consuming what is left over after we cooked it
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Goo question. I've always wondered if the weight on MFP foos bank is before or after cooking. I know that at the fast food places everything is weighed before cooking. Like the quarter pounder is a 1/4 of a pound before cooking.
    I just think 4 oz of chicken before cooking is such a small amount!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I weigh before and use the RAW calories. (so 4 oz chicken breast - Raw on MFP diary). Even though I don't eat it raw. lol I figure its better to over estimate than under. :)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am inclined to say after cooking because the water weight is cooked out of the meat. Up to this point though I have been weighing before cooking.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered this too - thank you!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it depends how you are entering it. If you use the "raw" entry...weigh it raw. If you are using the "cooked" entry...weigh it cooked. I personally use the cooked version...you are only consuming what it weighs out at after it is cooked. Alot of moisture gets cooked out of it...which, obviously you do not consume.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I usually buy my chicken and fish at costco, the bag has the nutrition label but not sure if thats for raw or cooked? But it does seem like such a small amount after its cooked, Ijust want to make sure Im getting the right amount of protein
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I usually buy my chicken and fish at costco, the bag has the nutrition label but not sure if thats for raw or cooked? But it does seem like such a small amount after its cooked, Ijust want to make sure Im getting the right amount of protein

I think that is usually raw. Because I noticed mine will say something like 1 4oz fillet....and it will be 4 oz raw...but of course less after cooking.