Wanting to try shirataki noodles

Options
First and foremost, I AM A PASTA ADDICT! :)

Since pasta isn't exactly a low cal, low carb food, I am looking to try some alternatives. I researched and came upon shirataki noodles. My questions to you all are:

Have you ever tried shirataki noodles?
If so, what do you like about them? what dont you like about them?

Also, did you notice any problems with upset stomach or anything of that sort after using these?

Replies

• Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking the same thing lately.... I'll be interested to know what the REAL reviews are like.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Ok #1 When you open the package it smells like fish!! However don't let this turn you off they just need a good rinse. I have tried 2 diff "styles" of these noodles. One is the fettuccine style noodle and the other is a thin noodle that reminds me of ramen. The texture is a bit weird, and they really have NO taste. I have found the longer you cook it in with something the more it takes on the flavor of that thing. The texture is almost "boingy" or spongy. I much prefer the ramen style and love to cook it in with some broccoli, peppers,onion,steak,and some soy sauce.
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The testure for me was really strange and I couldn't eat it. Try using spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I like them, but you definitely need to rinse and pat them dry. Definitely a good, low cal alternative! They're a little slimier than regular noodles, but they taste good in different sauces.
  • sarahtiano
    sarahtiano Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    they are superrrr yummy! definitely wash them thoroughly, but they taste normal and a great low cal substitute (only 20 calories per serving!!)
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I tried the tofu ones, and they were surprisingly good. I went into the situation with REALLY low expectations, but they ended up being really good. just remember that they taste better with creamier sauces as opposed to tomato based ones.
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I first tried them, I thought the teexture was a little weird. They're a little chewy. However I used them in a soup (recipe below) and I noticed that in the leftovers, the texture improved and softened quite a bit. The soup was super delicious and a big hit with my coworkers. I found this recipe on Hungry-girl.com.

Thai-Oh-My Coconut Chicken Noodle Soup
    Serves 6
    Ingredients:
    2 bags House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Noodle Substitute
    1 1/3 cups chopped onion (about 1 onion)
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 tbsp. canned diced green chilies, drained
    1 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or more to taste
    4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
    10 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast cutlets
    1/2 cup canned lite coconut milk
    1 tbsp. reduced-sodium/lite soy sauce
    1 tbsp. lime juice
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
    Optional: salt, black pepper

Directions:
    Use a strainer to rinse and drain noodles well. Pat dry. Place noodles in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 1 minute. Drain excess liquid. Dry as thoroughly as possible, using paper towels. Cut noodles up a bit with kitchen shears (if you’ve got ’em), and set aside.

Bring a medium-large pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add onion, mushrooms, chilies, garlic, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook until onion is soft, about 4 minutes.

Add broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken and return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.

Add coconut milk and soy sauce, and mix well. Continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

Remove chicken and place it in a bowl. Shred each piece using two forks -- one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.

Stir in noodles, lime juice, and 1/4 cup cilantro. Continue to simmer until noodles are hot, about 2 minutes.

If you like, season to taste with salt, black pepper, and additional cayenne pepper.

Evenly top each serving with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro (2 tsp. each) and enjoy!

Nutrtional Info (1/6th of recipe, 1 heaping cup): 99 calories, 2.5g fat, 532mg sodium, 7.5g carbs, 2g fiber, 2g sugars, 12.5g protein
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I tried the fettucine noodles and couldn't force them down. I did rinse, microwave, and pat dry as recommended but they still had the fishiness to them. I would compare the texture to calamari and didn't find it appetizing. I was SO disappointed to find them pretty terrible! For me it was a case of too good to be true!