Any personal trainers? (im not looking for free advice :) )

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
I thinking about getting a certificate (or whatever it is I would need) to become a personal trainer. I gratuated highschool and thats all i got. I wasnt the greatest student...but i got by so Im a little nervous. I know i need to go back to school because being a receptionist isnt cutting it. I just dont get paid enough and am never going to be able to be financially stable.
I've been thinking about going back to school but wasnt sure for what but then i thought how being a personal trainer/nutritionist would interest me and i think i would be really good at it. Im a people person. but i graduated back in 03 and im really scared to go back.
I did a little research and there arent really any schools in my area but there are some online courses i could take.
let me just throw out there that i am absolutley horrible at math which is the real reason why ive been putting off school :(
So i was hoping to talk so someone who is a personal trainer and what time of schooling and things like that they went through. If you dont mind chit chatting about it feel free to send me a message.

Replies

• Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    intresting, been thinking of taking the route also, gonna bump this so i can see the respones. good luck!
  • kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ishtar163
    ishtar163 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You could get an online certification, but most employers are looking for a degree in a related field. Regardless, nutrition and exercise science can be pretty math and science intensive. Also, any kind of certification you get requires continuing education credits to keep active. Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • doris_day
    doris_day Posts: 159
    Options
    To start you you might want to check out the AFAA certifications. There are whole weekend workout clinics that are super fun. AFAA certifications are recognized everywhere especially YMCA's. You might do better as a fitness instructor first then personal training.
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    Options
    Hey girl, I am a personal trainer and I have a bachelors in Health BUT having a degree is not necessary when getting a job it just helps. I also do not work at a gym, I have my own business because (no offense to gyms) gyms may not provide the best training. Alot of the times they will hire anyone with a certification. You can get a certification for like 50 bucks off the internet and learn NOTHING. THEY ARE BOGUS. A real certification is NCCA accredited and normally cost around $500. It is very worth it though because they make sure you KNOW the information it takes to train someone and get them results. So make sure when you do a certification whether it be online or in person, it is NCCA accredted. :) I hope this helps!
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just completed a 6 week course through the local college and now looking for an internship. I haven't been in school for awhile but managed to pass with very good grades - part of it was written and then we had to simulate training someone.

The company I took it through is called WITS and they have them all over the country. It was 6 weeks with the testing and once you pass the test you have to take a 30 hour internship. Then you are certified. I liked the idea of doing it in a class room instead of online.

Good luck!!!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You know I'm not a PT, but I'll say I've seen commercials on tv for a couple community colleges or tech school type places that do the courses. Have you checked those in your area? As for online stuff, I generally advise people to avoid those things, they have their place for some things. But in general, they don't have a good connotation or reputation (at least in my profession). I'd choose someone who went to a real institution over a computer student.

I gave you some pep talk in your status, but I'll say more here. Just because hs was difficult, doesn't mean higher education will be. Things are different, and in someways, I think there is more support. Plus, you have had time to grow up and realize what things are important. In hs, we're kind of forced to be there, you are now making a choice YOU want, not the state education board. When you study things that are interesting to you, you'll be amazed the difference in makes in your academic performance.

Also, if you need help with math and science, you know you can always ask me. :)

*puts down pompoms*
  • TurboStaci
    TurboStaci Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm ISSA certified & did the Home Study course because I was a stay at home mom working around my families schedule. :)
    You study & test at your own pace. I needed that flexibility. Good Luck!