Confused by nutrition facts on microwave popcorn

Options
Ok, bought some microwave popcorn in the mini bags and am very confused by the nutrition facts. It says that 1 serving is one bag. A serving size is 3tbsp unpopped (makes about 6 cups). As far as calories go, it says that the amount per serving is 2tbsp unpopped and is 140 calories and 1 cup popped is 35 calories. I am assuming that you multiply the 6 cups by the 35 calories? 210 calories per bag? I think what throws me off is that it says 3tbsp is a serving and then goes on to say there is 2 tbsp per serving... HELP

Replies

• girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    A serving of popcorn is 1 cup. Don't worry about the unpopped numbers since you won't be opening the bag and measuring before popping it. If it says 35 calories per cup popped (which sounds right), then yes, multiple the number of cups you eat by 35. I'd be surprised though if you get 6 cups out of a mini bag. I usually find the full sized bags have 8 cups in them...
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I can see the discrepancy.

The bag contains 3 tbsp un-popped, which is 210 calories. The nutritional info says a serving is 2 tbsp un-popped which is 140 calories
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    oh thank god im not the only brain dead one here..

but i must ask you - WHAT IS RIGHT THEN? (im pulling my hair out on this one)

is it the 200+ calories or is it the 140 calories??!!

stupid popcorn makers and their math...dont they know math is my least favorite subject? :)
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would guess that the pack contains 210 calories, but the "official" serving size is two thirds of a bag
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    oh thank god im not the only brain dead one here..

but i must ask you - WHAT IS RIGHT THEN? (im pulling my hair out on this one)

is it the 200+ calories or is it the 140 calories??!!

stupid popcorn makers and their math...dont they know math is my least favorite subject? :)

measure the popped popcorn.

there is probable about 1 cup that doesn't pop,

They probably have to put in there a yeild that accounts for every kernel even if it doesn't pop and you don't eat those
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Why do they put the unpopped info on there anyway...it drives me crazy!
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I count it after is popped. I pop a bag, then put it in a bowl and measure out 2 cups for a snack. Thats a 70 cal snack.