Birthday cake....

Options
How do I not offend my kids if I don't have any? My twins turn 5 Wednesday and next week Tuesday my oldest turns 17. So is there anything I can say so my children, mainly my twins, won't get mad. TIA!

Replies

• Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Have a SMALL piece, or just ask them for a bite of theirs, I noticed kids like to feed their parents. (I'm not a parent yet so I could be wrong :smile: )
    A couple bites won't hurt
  • britneybowen
    britneybowen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In those cases I would have the piece of cake. It is their special day- so make it special with them! :happy:
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Sure! Tell a fib. Simply tell them the doctor said you can't have it. Most kids at that age listen to doctors and will respect the fact that you do. Tell them your doctor told you that when you get to a certain weight you'll be able to have a small piece of cake, but not until then. Not only will your kids understand, they'll start encouraging you to lose weight so you can have a piece next year!

Of course, if fibbing isn't a thing you feel comfortable doing, simply have a ultra-thin sliver and tell them it was enough to satisfy you.

You might even go so far as to tell them that cake isn't the most important part of their special day, they are! Give them big hugs and tell them you love them more than you love cake.
  • kristenheet
    kristenheet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would also have a piece, but make it a very small one! My birthday is coming up and I will definitely have a piece of cake that my mother in law makes!
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Have a small piece or just have ice cream. I had to go to a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese with my daughter and so not to offend the family I ate an ice cream cup and I felt better because I ate something and also because it was way less calories and fat. If you choose to have the cake do an extra workout. That's just what I would do:)
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Cake is a downward spiral for me. One piece will turn into two or three. You have to know your weaknesses. If you are able to have one piece of cake and let it be that, then I say eat it. If you don't think it's wise, just give them a heads up before the party. Tell the twins you won't be eating cake because you want to get healthy and be with them for many more birthdays. They're five, I think they'll understand!
  • birdieandkenadi05
    birdieandkenadi05 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have a piece, it wont hurt. Its a special day and I think you cant deprive yourself or you will start hating the eating better, healthy living lifestyle!!

Enjoy...but in moderation :bigsmile:
  • michellemh1022
    michellemh1022 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far! I would just have a small piece to celebrate and make them happy. I like the suggestion of just letting them just feed you a couple bites. =)
  • beccafertig
    Options
    One more thing to remember...cake doesn't make the birthday. We don't need to eat junk in order to celebrate a special occasion!!!
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    Life is about the celebrations...! This is a lifestyle change and you can't avoid cake for the rest of your life. Eat a small piece, skip the ice cream, and plan ahead for it. Walk an extra 20 minutes or else just cut your calories somewhere else in your day. Even if you go over by 200 calories - it's your babies birthdays. Enjoy yourself!
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just had two birthdays in one month so I feel your pain, I just factored in the cake for my caloris I had very small slices just enough to get the taste and then worked it off on the treadmill! I do think though if cakes your weakness and it will lead you to stray that maybe just give them thier cake and dish out everyone elses and just not call attention to you not getting a piece, if they happen to ask tell them oh mommy just doesnt want cake but I am so happy your enjoying your piece you'd be surprised that is probably a good enough answer...and surely the 17 year old will understand. You can do it!!
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I say go ahead and have a piece - nothing wrong with a splurge every now & then! For my next birthday, I'm going to try an angel food cake with strawberries & maybe a bit of fat free cool whip! :)
  • beccafertig
    Options
    I just had two birthdays in one month so I feel your pain, I just factored in the cake for my caloris I had very small slices just enough to get the taste and then worked it off on the treadmill! I do think though if cakes your weakness and it will lead you to stray that maybe just give them thier cake and dish out everyone elses and just not call attention to you not getting a piece, if they happen to ask tell them oh mommy just doesnt want cake but I am so happy your enjoying your piece you'd be surprised that is probably a good enough answer...and surely the 17 year old will understand. You can do it!!

Here here! My mantra has become "I don't need cake to celebrate". It sort of rhymes if you say it over and over again :-)
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Life is about the celebrations...! This is a lifestyle change and you can't avoid cake for the rest of your life. Eat a small piece, skip the ice cream, and plan ahead for it. Walk an extra 20 minutes or else just cut your calories somewhere else in your day. Even if you go over by 200 calories - it's your babies birthdays. Enjoy yourself!

I agree, it's unrealistic to cut cake out for the rest of your life. You have to learn how to deal with these types of situations. If you slip it, it's a lesson learned for when you enter the situation next time. Prepping ahead (with that extra workout as suggested) is more realistic to me and I like the suggestion.
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I agree, you can't completely cut out things because that's how you fall off track.

Being barely 20 and having a 17 year old boyfriend (almost 18), I'm kinda offended that you have to ask what to say to your 17 year old. He is almost an adult and at that age should be talked to like one. If you really feel your kid will freak out if you don't eat cake (and I doubt it) then you have more than one issue at hand...

For the five year olds, a little slice won't hurt. I have a limit of 1200 and managed to eat cake on my birthday & eat it for a few days after (small family + store cake = lots of leftovers).

Either way, prep ahead. Count out everything you're going to eat the night BEFORE so you know if you have to have a work out or not.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    How do I not offend my kids if I don't have any? My twins turn 5 Wednesday and next week Tuesday my oldest turns 17. So is there anything I can say so my children, mainly my twins, won't get mad. TIA!

my wedding anniversary was Saturday..... I gave up sweets & desserts for Lenten... we ALWAYS get a mini-wedding cake for dessert for our anniversary.... I toast with DH and put my piee in the freezer with a promise that if I make my April goals, I can have it on May 1st...

CAKE IS MY #1 WEAKNESS and DOWNFALL.... One piece will turn into the whole damn cake...

I say all of that to say, cut you a slice and let your kids see you with it... then wrap it up, put it in the freezer and have it later as a reward for some goal you've met...by that time, the rest of the cake will be ALL gone and nothing left to tempt you
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We have four birthdays in a six week period of time AND I decorate cakes as a hobby so I've got a family full of cake snobs. Usually I'm all caked out by the time my birthday gets here at the end of the group (did I mention there is an anniversary cake in there too?) I usually have a very small piece because I do like it but if I really didn't want it my kids would respect that. One way I deal with all this cake is I have 6" cake pans that make a very small cake and gives us only two pieces each for our family of six. (This is a 4" tall cake so the pieces are tall but thin.)

This year for my son's birthday I made a flour less, gluten free, sugar free chocolate cake with sliced strawberries that was pretty good, low in carbs and much lower in calories than we usually have. I had promised him we'd go for ice cream if he didn't like it but the whole family loved it. The cake was made with canned black beans and instead of sugar I used erthritol (sp?) which is a sugar alcohol in granulated form that has less negative impact on the digestive system than Xylitiol but still tastes decent. :)
  • SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm about to go to my Grandson's 5th birthday party in two weeks. We have to travel 10 hours to be there for his party. I'm not sure whether he'll notice, being a ball of fire, but I plan on having a tiny sliver of his cake. Then the family is going to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner. He's been begging for a year to go there. I plan on having a piece of the pizza, too. I may or may not be able to work out at the hotel and work any of this off, but by golly, I'm going to celebrate my baby's 5th birthday!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Are you baking the cake? If so, there are ways to slightly improve the nutritional value. You could:

1) Replace 1/3 of the regular flour the recipe calls for with coconut flour (higher fiber, lower carb).
    2) Replace the oil the recipe calls for with applesauce.
    3) Replace part of the eggs the recipe calls for with egg whites.

But, even if you don't do this, there is no reason to beat yourself up for having birthday cake with your children! Just make sure you eat healthy protein and fiber-rich foods for your other meals (especially breakfast), and have a smaller piece of cake than you usually would. And drink plenty of water. The good meal(s) before hand will help keep your blood sugar stable, so you don't have a spike leading to more cake (and a downward spiral of cravings)!
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Well I am know I love cake but I would still have cake for my kids. I would maybe make sure you have fruit or another snack in place of the cake