Caffeine Alternatives

Options
I've been trying to take a hard look at what I'm doing wrong as my weight loss has trailed off despite staying under my calories as reported on MFP. Normally I didn't record my morning coffee because, eh, coffee has only 4 calories, and I only drink one cup (12 oz travel mug) in the morning, no big deal, right? Well...when you have to add flavored creamer to drink it, the calories add up. Today I measured out how much coffee mate flavored creamer I put in my mug before I add the coffee and it was 1/3 cup! An extra 150 calories every morning that wasn't getting recorded - no wonder things were slow moving (I should have still seen some weight loss even with that, but I suspect there are other things lurking).

Anyway, I need creamer to be able to drink coffee - I'm a wimp who needs it to be a particular shade of taupe before I can drink it. My body doesn't react well to sugar free creamer, and I've never been a fan of tea, but if I had to get caffeine in it seems like the best alternative to do it in a calorie free way. Is there another way? I drink diet sodas, but usually only the caffeine free kind, and it doesn't seem like the amount of caffeine in a diet pepsi is equivalent to a 12 oz. cup of coffee. I'm open to the idea of weaning myself off caffeine altogether, but I'm not convinced it's necessary considering I don't drink that much. Mostly I drink coffee because I like the flavor (when altered) AND it gives me boost of energy. I'd love to hear what other people have tried.

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    What about getting that shade of taupe with skim or 1% milk?
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I used to love Tim Horton's French Vanilla Cappuccino every day until I found out how much sugar it has. Now I order a medium coffee and ask them to only put in a quarter french vanilla cappuccino. I still get the flavor, although not as sweet, but just as good!

Too, I use Natura french vanilla coffee creamer for when I make coffee at home. Speaking of which - yum! I'm off to go make me some - thanks!!!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Just curious - are you allergic to dairy or are you trying to avoid the calories in milk?
    I was just wondering b/c plain old coffee w/ skim milk that has been foamed in a frother tastes as 'fatty' as coffee w/ whole milk. I love it.

The only 'catch' is that the foam 'subsides' - not the greatest for travel - best enjoyed right away. (It's like being able to make a latte at home w/o an expensive machine...the pricey machines w/ the steam, of course, create a better foam that does not subside...!!)

Hope this was helpful - sorry if not... :flowerforyou:

ETA: OOPS. :blushing: Do you use non-dairy creamer or are you saying you use Creamer for the FLAVOR?
  • daddyzgurl
    Options
    What about flavored soy milk, almond milk or coconut milk?
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Well, I love my morning coffee and I want it made a certain way. My way adds up to one hundred calories a day. One hundred cals that I am not willing to do without, so I have it....and log it. It is just part of my food day.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think I'm too attached to my flavored creamers and i may just have to unhook from them. While the sugar free version of my favorite coffee addition gives me "intestinal distress", I can do splenda packets when I'm at a restaurant w/o trouble. I'll pick up some nonfat milk and splenda today and see if that gets me through. I'd still like to hear if others have some ideas outside of coffee to get their caffeine fix.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options

this is a good idea--- and if it doesnt make it sweet enough, add some truvia or sugar in the raw--- might ad a couple more cals but will most likely be a lot less than 150 calories!! :o)
    I used to only be able to drink coffee with creamer or milk and sugar...and little by little i started adding less and less (it took a while to get used to it...like a couple days at each "level"...but eventually i could drink it black. do i still like flavored creamer sometimes? of course. but i usually only allow for one cup of it and if i want more coffee i drink it black.
    have you tried fat free creamer? its at least a little bit less calories than regular...

those are my suggestions. hope they help!! from one coffee addict to another :o)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya there, really like to have my morning coffee...but I just add plain powdered creamer most of the time and a little less than I used to. I also alternate between using real sugar and stevia.

I love flavored creamers but am limiting them because of those calories. Maybe you could try a little of the flavored stuff with about 1/2 skim or 1% milk, until you get used to the taste?

I also gave up drinking soda, even diet. Was hearing too many bad things about the chemicals in them and supposedly something in them stimulates the appetite?
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Re: creamer for flavor

Mostly I use the creamer for the flavor - but I may just have to get over that or simply own the calories, as another poster suggested, and just plan for it in my day.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Love the FV Creamer and can't live without it! I have not tried the sugar free yet.

What about milk and vanilla syrup? You can purchase the syrups almost anwhere and if you compare the cal/fat content of the milk you use to the creamer it might work for you. I think the syrups are sweetened already, but I know McDonals's has a sugar-free vanilla syrup they use.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I know you said you need creamer to drink coffee. I personally use milk and don't know what creamer is.

But don't automatically remove this suggestion from your mind! You can get used to anything. If you have five sips of black coffee before adding the creamer every day - and then a few days later, increase that to ten sips - you'll slowly develop a taste for black coffee. This is how I cut sugar from my coffee a year ago (I'm still working on cutting out the milk). I have tasted sugary coffee since and find it disgusting! Like drinking liquid jam! Blegh.

Alternatively switch to milk (unless this IS creamer?).

ALTERNATIVELY, quit caffeine. Two months ago, I quit coffee cold turkey from drinking 20 cups a day (yes...) to 0. Although I'm drinking it again now in moderation, the caffeine withdrawal symptoms only lasted a week. If that's how long it takes to cut down from 20, I'm sure cutting down from one a day won't last more than 4 days. Caffeine is addictive.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

That's a good idea. I used to drink coffee with cream and sugar. Then it became just sugar. Now it's black. Try just using less and less until you don't need it. Same with sugar.

Now I can't stand coffee with creamer and the last time I had sugar in it I didn't like it much either. And look into higher quality or more expensive coffees. Or get a grinder and buy whole bean which taste so good. (most ground coffees are already stale when you open them. Coffee doesn't stay fresh very long at all).

I get Limited Edition coffees from Gevalia 5x a year. It's costs about $37 each time (for 2 pounds plus shipping) but the coffee is amazing. Putting something in it actually ruins the flavor.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm a tea-drinker, never developed a taste for coffee but maybe my way of getting a creamy, sweet, hot beverage every day will help you.

I like "sugar and milk" in my hot tea, and I like the Chai flavors of tea. My favorite tea bags are Yogi Classic Indian Spice, and Yogi Chai Green.

I brew the tea in a small Mr. Coffee that has NEVER been used to make coffee!

Once I pour a tall mug of this hot, spicy, part Black/part Green tea, I then add Davinci's or Torani's Sugar Free Syrups - today's "mix" includes sugar free flavors of French Vanilla, Caramel, Chocolate, and Brown Sugar Cinnamon.

ADD TO THAT a generous splash of Silk Pure Almond Milk - unsweetened and unflavored. The milk is 35 cals for a FULL CUP, so for this decadent, sweet, hot, creamy beverage, I'm getting less than 10 calories - probably closer to 5. In addition to the flavors of the sweetners, I've now added an "Amaretto" type flavor with the Almond Milk. YUMMMMMMMMMILICIOUS!

I record a full cup of the Almond Milk every day, because I drink hot tea all day long and I get close to a cup by the end of the day.

Hope this helps!

:drinker:

Ice
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya there, really like to have my morning coffee...but I just add plain powdered creamer most of the time and a little less than I used to. I also alternate between using real sugar and stevia.

I love flavored creamers but am limiting them because of those calories. Maybe you could try a little of the flavored stuff with about 1/2 skim or 1% milk, until you get used to the taste?

I also gave up drinking soda, even diet. Was hearing too many bad things about the chemicals in them and supposedly something in them stimulates the appetite?

When I have a caffinated diet soda, I have to have something munchy with it, and the munching continues if I'm not careful. Before I have it I can be just fine and not need to munch. I'm convinced it makes me crave carbs lol. Also years ago I heard that caffiene stimulates fat cells to produce or whatever, those things on top of the side effects I deal with, I don't want to have caffiene at all, and have gone months without it, unfortunately I got back into drinking it the last few months, and so I'm having to quit again.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Try unsweetened almond milk and a packet of splenda.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Re: creamer for flavor

Mostly I use the creamer for the flavor - but I may just have to get over that or simply own the calories, as another poster suggested, and just plan for it in my day.

Oh...SORRY - I didn't suggest an alternate. I haven't tried it, but some super healthy friends of mine LOVE their yerba mate. You might try that!

I also agree that if you LOOOOOVE your morning coffee, then maybe try to plan for it!! Best of luck!
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Flavored almond milk is a yummy alternative :) or just make that your treat for the day, and either eat healthier the rest of the day, or take in less food, or add in 150cals worth or exercise. If you give up something you absolutely love, you are going to end up quitting.
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1/3 of a cup is about 5.3 tablespoons. To me that seems like alot of creamer for 2 or 3 cups of coffee.

Have you ever considered cutting it back to 2.5 to 3 tablespoons? That alone would remove many calories. Drink it that way for a while then cut back to 1.5 tablespoons, and so on.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here, I think! You could get some flavoured coffee beans and then add milk. I usually drink my coffee black, but if I get a coffee from Starbucks I just can't - they burn the beans and make it far too bitter. So I add some light vanilla soymilk. :) But yeah, the flavour syrup is a good idea too, I am pretty sure they have some sugar free ones available but I don't know what the calorie content is like.