Insanity Question

Options
So for all of those doing or have done Insanity.

Can you explain to me what the purpose of holding your arms out in front of you during the stretches does? I can't seem to do that. I have deteriating discs in my lower back that make that part very difficult. So, am I missing a part of the workout that is really beneficial by not putting my arms out front. Also, with that forward fold with them out in front isn't happening. I can do it with them out there. LOL

Any insight is appreciated. Everytime I do an Insanity workout I am like I need to ask my MFP'ers this! But always forget. LOL

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    This is just my thought...I think by putting your arms up you are forcing your body into a constant state of using your core muscles to balance yourself. I know that I can't do it 100% of the time and I don't have disc problems like you mention having! So I can only imagine how difficult that is. I think, again just my opinion, that if you focus on your core but hold your arms in a manner that makes your back comfortable- you'll be modifying it to meet your needs. :-)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's for your core muscles.
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just don't do it. I modify a few of the stretches actually. Better than getting hurt! Not to mention, in the second half of the workouts (the MAX versions) you don't hold your arms out, but instead rest oneon yourknee and one on the floor.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I don't put my arms out because I'm not that strong, yet. However, you should feel more of a stretch in your hamstrings and core.