I'm considering increasing my calories...am I crazy??

Options
lmr9
lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
Since the beginning of this year, my goal has been 1,200 net calories, which is a projected loss of 1.7 pounds/week. I've done well - I've lost 17 pounds so far this year - so that's a little over a pound per week. I've had a mix of 45% carbs, 25% fat, and 30% protein. I've also been working out a lot - 1 hour/day, 6 days/week - boot camp style workouts, weight training, running, spin, and yoga. I drink about 12 cups of water per day.

So, what's the problem, you say?...

The past week I have been so hungry!! I'm considering increasing my calories, and wondered what you all thought. If I go by MFP's recommended calories for 1 pound/week loss, that would be 1,570 net calories. I'm so close to my goal and do NOT want to stop my weight loss, but also don't want to be hungry...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mk47funk
    mk47funk Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't think bumping your calories up is a bad idea at all, but I'd work on shifting some of the percentage from carbs to proteins. Also, I don't know your current diet but add some low-GI (glycemix index) carbs if you have to add carbs, or substitute some of your current carbs for lower-GI carbs (a great list is here: http://www.herbalvitality.info/aw/glycemic_index.htm)

Finally, when are you consuming the bulk of your carbs? You say you're working out about an hour a day, I'd try to consume more of your daily carbs in the hour or two directly before and after these workouts and then concentrate on lower GI carbs, proteins, and healthy fats the rest of the day.
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would go for it, but I do understand your fears as you are so close to your goal weight! I can't imagine eating that little though. I eat 2000 calories per day which is a little less than a 1-lb per week weight loss for me. I started at 1800 but I was just too hungry all the time and I can't stand feeling constantly hungry. Maybe if you increase calories now, it will help your body adjust to more food that you will eventually be eating when you switch to maintenance?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Definitely time to up them. 1200 is definitely not enough for 1 hour per day workouts, especially for an extended period of time.

You'll be able to tell in about a week or two whether or not the calorie increase is helping or hurting, but my bet is that it will help!
  • lmr9
    Options
    Thank you. I think I'm going to bump it up a bit and see how it goes. Maybe I'll start with the 1.5 lb loss/week, and go from there...
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? I didn't see that specifically, sorry if I missed that part.:bigsmile:

If not, just eat them and that should help.

If you are alrady eating them, I'd say increasing your calories a little bit won't hurt. Good luck and congrats on your loss so far!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    sounds like a good idea..i upped mine, because 1200 plus what i was burning was not enough..i upped them to 1475, plus what i burn off, and it has actually helped best of luck :)
  • lmr9
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? I didn't see that specifically, sorry if I missed that part.:bigsmile:

If not, just eat them and that should help.

If you are alrady eating them, I'd say increasing your calories a little bit won't hurt. Good luck and congrats on your loss so far!

Yes, I've been eating my exercise calories. Don't know what I would do without them! :laugh:
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am interested to see what will happen, too! I just upped mine yesterday to 1300 from 1200. For me that is 0.5 lb/week vs. 0.7 lb/week. I have seen great results so far but I have just been so hungry the last few days! I have lost almost 22 pounds in the last 3 months and have ~5 or so to go. I work out 3-4 x/week for about 90 minutes of various things including weights, yoga, pilates, zumba, and cardio machines, and I eat all my exercise calories. Not sure why all of a sudden I am starving!
  • lmr9
    Options
    I am interested to see what will happen, too! I just upped mine yesterday to 1300 from 1200. For me that is 0.5 lb/week vs. 0.7 lb/week. I have seen great results so far but I have just been so hungry the last few days! I have lost almost 22 pounds in the last 3 months and have ~5 or so to go. I work out 3-4 x/week for about 90 minutes of various things including weights, yoga, pilates, zumba, and cardio machines, and I eat all my exercise calories. Not sure why all of a sudden I am starving!

Not sure why I am starving either! Like you, it just came on. I've been at this calorie level for months and have been fine...guess we'll see. Let me know how you do! :)
  • drowningsea
    Options
    I have been on 1200 since October and have lost 62 pounds and I just increased mine as well. Only to 1300.. but still. I've been hungrier too.

As long as we're still creating a deficit, which we are, we should be fine!