what counts more - Exercise or diet?

Options
Hi! :)

I noticed something on my body.. please tell me if it happened to you too.

on some days that I end up eating 800 calories without exercising, the next day I weigh about 0.7 lbs less.

however, if I eat a net of 700 calories (eat 1200 and burn 500) on workout day, the next day I don't lose any weight.

is it just me or that the calories I burn are less 'effective' than the calories I don't eat?

Thanks!!
Keren

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I was always told its 80% diet , 20% exercise.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. Bump!
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I have also heard this!
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was always told diet was the most important but I don't follow it. I will try to watch my portions and stay within my range but I find a day or two of terrible eating after a week of watching & exercising helps me. Everyone is different though.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    diet for sure. def is the 80% for food and 20% for exercise
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Of course you're going to lose weight FAST if you don't eat much, but it's extremely unhealthy. And as soon as you eat a little more, you gain it right back. Losing weight by exercising and eating enough is slower, but it's more effective and long-lasting.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options

I have also heard this!

Me too!

And it worked for me - one summer I exercised like crazy, but ate the same, lost nothing (except a few inches). Then in August I started exercising again like crazy AND changed my diet, and am up to 45 lbs now or so lost!
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well you could be replacing fat with muscle. Depending on your exercise. Also your weight will fluctuate daily.

Good Luck & God Bless
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    I notice the exact same thing! So I feel like I shouldn't eat back most/all of my exercise calories
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi! :)

I noticed something on my body.. please tell me if it happened to you too.

on some days that I end up eating 800 calories without exercising, the next day I weigh about 0.7 lbs less.

however, if I eat a net of 700 calories (eat 1200 and burn 500) on workout day, the next day I don't lose any weight.

is it just me or that the calories I burn are less 'effective' than the calories I don't eat?

Thanks!!
    Keren

This may be true but I think its harder to hold on to the weight loss that's just do to less calories instead of exercising. The exercising builds muscle which burns more calories over the long term. The one day you eat less you only get the "credit" for that one day. I view exercise as having a more cumulative effect. BTW, I am a total novice at this so I may be offbase, this is just my experience/opinion.
  • wwaaffllee
    Options
    DIET!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Uh, brace yourself for the rash of people about to tell you to net way more calories.

Myself included.

NET WAY MORE CALORIES.

I'm not kidding. MFP builds the deficit in FOR YOU and you're smothering your metabolism. Unless you're about three and a half feet tall, or on a Dr.-supervised diet, you need to be netting closer to 1200+.

And to answer your question, it's both. Nutrition is a must but exercise is a boost - and, for some, a necessary boost.

Good luck.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,683 Member
    Options
    Eating so few calories is likely to backfire on you, with or without exercise. Use MFP's tools to set a reasonable calorie deficit (I'd recommend no more than 1 pound a week) and then eat that amount of calories, adding more if you work out. Don't sacrifice your long-term health AND weight-loss success for quick short-term losses. Good luck!
  • glendaaus
    glendaaus Posts: 27
    Options
    When I was younger - say under 35 diet seemed to move weight very quickly - and I firmed up with exercise BUT as I get older I have to do both everyday - I find more strength/yoga and a little cardio works now I am 50 - and it's been like that for a while. I think the 20/80 ratio sounds perfect.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I do know it's dangerous to your body and harmful to your metabolism if you aren't netting at least 1200 calories a day. There is also the argument that working out builds lean muscle mass which 'weighs more' than fat, so that's a possibility too. And there's the factor of when and how often you weigh yourself. Your weight can fluctuate by up to 2 or 3 pounds in a day, so if you're not weighing at the same TIME when you weigh in, that could be why too... also weighing daily is not highly recommended because of similar day to day weight fluctuations... So really, it could be a number of reasons. I would recommend that you try to get your net 1200 calories in every day and weigh in once a week in the morning (like when you get up) and see if those fluctuations are still happening...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Uh, brace yourself for the rash of people about to tell you to net way more calories.

Myself included.

NET WAY MORE CALORIES.

I'm not kidding. MFP builds the deficit in FOR YOU and you're smothering your metabolism. Unless you're about three and a half feet tall, you need to be netting closer to 1200+.

And to answer your question, it's both. Nutrition is a must but exercise is a boost - and, for some, a necessary boost.

Good luck.

DITTO!
  • Juliasss
    Juliasss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising for just about 3 weeks now and I have actually gained weight but my clothing feels looser. I think I am putting muscle on which weights more than fat but boy is it demotivating!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Well you could be replacing fat with muscle. Depending on your exercise. Also your weight will fluctuate daily.

Good Luck & God Bless

actually it takes a lot to build muscle. bodybuilders spend months at the gym to gain a few pounds of muscle. and they have a calorie surplus not deficit. the most you can do while losing weight is strengthen and maintain the lean muscle you have (by strength training) which will encourage fat loss
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i agree with the 80% diet and 20% exercise mantra.
    however, exercise is super important in loosing weight. it helps you burn fat, and replace it with muscle.

after a hard workout, you body is more prone to retain water, so that could be the fluctuation u are seeing in the scale.
  • kerenvaknin
    kerenvaknin Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I have also heard this!

Me too!

And it worked for me - one summer I exercised like crazy, but ate the same, lost nothing (except a few inches). Then in August I started exercising again like crazy AND changed my diet, and am up to 45 lbs now or so lost!

Wow this is awesome!!! :):):)
    you're amazing!!