How do you get your protein in?

Options
SOOZIE429
SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
I'm trying to keep my calories count around 1300, my protein high and my carbs low. I can't seem to get my protein near 100g most days. I eat eggs for breakfast, chicken at lunch, greek yogurt and almonds for snack, and another lean protein at dinner and its not adding up.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• ma3145tt
    ma3145tt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes. I recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. Also, the Dymatize Elite XT is good, which is a slow release. Both are relatively cheap. I mix two scoops of the Dymatize with a cup of skim milk and a cup of water and it's around 336 calories and 50 grams of protein.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    Greek yogurt is awesome. Trader Joes brand is 22g per serving!
  • mk47funk
    mk47funk Posts: 3
    Options
    Look into powdered protein mixes - they are an easy way to get some quality protein. If you're active, whey directly before and/or after workouts is great. Otherwise, look into cassein protein which is slower releasing.

Also a great idea that I do is to have a few scoops of cottage cheese before bed - the slow release proteins (cassein) are slowly absorbed as you sleep.

*Edit* - Of course whole foods are the best sources of protein but my powder suggestion is in response to you saying you were having trouble getting the full amount - otherwise, just ramp up how much you are eating of the foods you listed.
  • roxychik3
    Options
    Have you tried adding a protein shake in for a snack? I am lactose intolerant, so I drink egg protein (I buy Healthy -n- Fit). One scoop is only 106 calories and has 22g of protein in it.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I mix Trader Darwin's Unflavored protein powder into my greek yogurt in the morning! Add stevia and cinnamon, its delicious.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I started drinking whey powder after workouts. 2 scoops, some light soy milk, and a banana gives me around 50g of protein. its around 275ish cals? that'll give u half of ur day's protein goal right for breakfast!

I struggle to get my protein up there too. Almonds, turkey, chicken, fish is usually what I do but I'd like to see other suggestions!
  • Ocgrrl
    Ocgrrl Posts: 8
    Options
    Go to trader joe's and get their egg white salad. Only 100 cals for 1 container and tons of protein!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Yummy Greek yogurt and raw almonds come to mind right off!:tongue:
  • npizza2010
    Options
    I tried the Bolthouse Farms (by produce area - drinks) Protein Plus its 190 cals and 16g protein for 1 serving ... bottles has 2 servings. I got the chocolate one. hehe But doesn't taste too bad. I also been drinking slim fast for lunch and I always meet my protein goal each day.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Post workout protein shakes are the best thing to do. Any whey protein shakes people have suggested are ideal. Your body needs protein to repair broken down muscles and it needs it fast, within 30 minutes of finishing your routine. By taking in a shake, all your body has to do is basically warm up the liquid then feed it to the muscles. Protein from food takes much longer for the body to process and digest before it can feed it to the muscles.

If you are trying to lose weight I recommend staying away from almonds as a snack. I think a serving is 170 calories, and 130 of those calories come from fat. They are also low in protein in comparison to the fat content. If you only have 20-25% total calories worth of fat, you take away a huge chunk just in one little serving of nuts.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes!
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've never been into protein shakes...but I aim for 100g a day as well. For breakfast I have either eggs (2, hard boiled) or chicken sausage. For lunch I often have a chicken breast over salad and for dinner I try to get in at least 30g through ground turkey, chicken breast, steak or shrimp.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    protein powder (chocolate) plus coffee as a mixture is super good and only 120 cals. Tastes like a mocha latte

but yeah i echo everyone else. maybe get some more cheese in there for fat intake
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have about a 100g goal of protein each day too. It's not easy, but can be done. I definitely use the whey powder as a supplement some days. Here's a list of some things I have found to eat that have good amounts of protein: reduced fat cheese (about 75 calories, 6g fat, and 9g protein per ounce), low fat cottage cheese (about 90 calories, 1.5g fat, and 12g protein), low sodium, nitrate-free lunch meats (varies, but generally in the 50 to 70 calorie range for 1 to 2g fat and around 10 to 12g protein), Greek yogurt, low or non-fat milk, eggs, Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patties (80 calories, 3g fat, 10g protein). I've also added fish and shrimp to my dinners much more often. They are a great low-fat source of protein. Also, look for "high fiber" bread products; some of the breads and English muffins I get have at least 6g of protein per serving.

One of my favorite breakfasts these days is to take a couple of slices of nitrate-free ham and "fry" it in a skillet (or if I'm feeling lazy, throw it on a piece of aluminum foil and into the toaster oven) and put it on a high fiber English muffin or one of the mini 100-calorie bagels. For more protein I'll add half an ounce of reduced fat cheese or one egg (scrambled or over medium). It's quite filling and will start your day with more than 20g of protein for less than 300 calories.
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    i agree with those who said protein shakes, i have nutribiotic vegan rice protein powder which i mix with rice milk/water or soy milk/water. low cal/high protein.