pasta: dry or cooked?

Options
My pasta box doesn't say.....is the 2 oz serving size dry pasta or cooked? I hope its dry because 2 oz of cooked pasta was next to nothing so I had 4 so I wouldn't starve to death :noway:

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My pasta box doesn't say.....is the 2 oz serving size dry pasta or cooked? I hope its dry because 2 oz of cooked pasta was next to nothing so I had 4 so I wouldn't starve to death :noway:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Two ounces dry and weighted. Not volume. I found that out today. It is more than it seems.
  • Chai
    Chai Posts: 22
    Options
    Yes, I think it is dry too. If it were cooked it would vary too much with calories depending on how long you cooked (and how much water was absorbed). Once upon a time I cooked 2 ounces and then I weighed it so I would know how much approx each time I made pasta. Of course I don't remember how much that was though lol
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    2 oz dry = approx 1 cup cooked = 1 serving
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Okay, tonight for dinner I had 12 cooked ounces of pasta...by my calculations, since 8 ounces is a cup, I had a cup and a half of pasta for dinner, which would mean 1.5 servings of cooked pasta. That doesn't seem quite right to me though since it sure looked like more than a cup and a half on my plate. I remembered this post half way through dinner so I searched for it, but now I'm not sure how to calculate my dinner since I didn't actually measure it in cups before I ate it (I weighed it on my scale). Any ideas?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Okay, tonight for dinner I had 12 cooked ounces of pasta...by my calculations, since 8 ounces is a cup, I had a cup and a half of pasta for dinner, which would mean 1.5 servings of cooked pasta. That doesn't seem quite right to me though since it sure looked like more than a cup and a half on my plate. I remembered this post half way through dinner so I searched for it, but now I'm not sure how to calculate my dinner since I didn't actually measure it in cups before I ate it (I weighed it on my scale). Any ideas?

According to the National Pasta Association <http://www.ilovepasta.org/faqs.html>, 8 ounces of uncooked long pasta, such as spaghetti will yield 4 cups of cooked pasta. Thus, a "serving" of 2 oz. uncooked spaghetti will be the nutritional equivalent of 1 cup of cooked spaghetti.

4 ounces of uncooked pasta (1 cup dried pasta) equals 2 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni, shells, rotini, cavatelli, wheels, penne, or ziti.

4 ounces of uncooked or a 1-inch diameter bunch of dry pasta will equal 2 cups cooked spaghetti, angel hair, vermicelli, or linguine.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

According to the National Pasta Association <http://www.ilovepasta.org/faqs.html>, 8 ounces of uncooked long pasta, such as spaghetti will yield 4 cups of cooked pasta. Thus, a "serving" of 2 oz. uncooked spaghetti will be the nutritional equivalent of 1 cup of cooked spaghetti.

4 ounces of uncooked pasta (1 cup dried pasta) equals 2 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni, shells, rotini, cavatelli, wheels, penne, or ziti.

4 ounces of uncooked or a 1-inch diameter bunch of dry pasta will equal 2 cups cooked spaghetti, angel hair, vermicelli, or linguine.

Thanks so much! Who knew there was a National Pasta Association? You always know just where to look shore...I really appreciate it...and your new pic is awesome!