Bicycle computer

Options
I'm looking for a bicycle computer to replace my currently useless cateye. I have a heart rate monitor, so I'm just looking for something inexpensive and reliable, with the minimum time, distance and speed functions. Any suggestions?

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a bicycle computer to replace my currently useless cateye. I have a heart rate monitor, so I'm just looking for something inexpensive and reliable, with the minimum time, distance and speed functions. Any suggestions?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I've got a Cateye--can't remember the model but bought it at Wal-Mart like 6 years ago and it's still works great. Gives me time, distance, speed, max speed, total miles accumulated, and clock. Fairly accurate, too, on the distance. It's usually with 2% of what Google maps says.

Think I paid around $25 or so for it.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have a Trek computer on my bike. I love it. Got at my local bike shop
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a trek 11i. It has time, distance, pace and (most inportant) cadence.
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 305. HR and Cadence as well as mapping. I have ridden with it for 2 years and no problems so far. I want the new color one now. What is great about this is that you can remove it from your bike and plug it into your pc and it will track your calories on each ride. It also tracks your average hr, cadence, how many feet you climbed/decended, average speed, current speed and it plots the route you rode. It will also memorize a course and insert an imaginary rider for you to compete against. Other than all of that it doesn't do much.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 305. HR and Cadence as well as mapping. I have ridden with it for 2 years and no problems so far. I want the new color one now. What is great about this is that you can remove it from your bike and plug it into your pc and it will track your calories on each ride. It also tracks your average hr, cadence, how many feet you climbed/decended, average speed, current speed and it plots the route you rode. It will also memorize a course and insert an imaginary rider for you to compete against. Other than all of that it doesn't do much.

Ok now look! I just talked hubby into us splurging on a Polar HRM, so now way I'm going ask for one of these---BUT I WANT ONE NOW! drool.gif

That sounds so awesome!

I've got to admit--I'm a sucker for things that will interact with my computer.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I know polar makes cyclocomputers as well with rpm and cadence modules. I personally use a cheapo cats eye I bought at a local bike shop. Its not the greatest thing but it gives me land speed and distance. :smile:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I think that the least expensive computer will do just fine. Unless you are a pro and really do something with all that extra information. It's what I did. Bought a model at a sale from one of these online bike stores.
    Does not have to be wireless either. In fact I have heard that if you have lights on your bike ( which I will install later) they can interfere with with a wireless computer.
    Mine does what it is supposed to do: it counts the miles I am riding. That's all I need.
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Whether you want cheap or pro you can find most bike stuff at performancebike.com or nashbar.com both are great sites.
    If you think you would have a tough time mounting it and calibrating it then search out a local bike shop, they are usually worth their fee for repair and set up.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Whether you want cheap or pro you can find most bike stuff at performancebike.com or nashbar.com both are great sites.
    If you think you would have a tough time mounting it and calibrating it then search out a local bike shop, they are usually worth their fee for repair and set up.

I love nashbar.com!!!! But, if you have a local bike shop, go talk to them. I am a big supporter of local business. They have to make a buck too! You also get the person to person contact by buying local and you can tell them what you are looking for and let them guide you to what will be best for you.