Hungry...

Options
Today is one of those days when I am hungry. I am going on my 2nd week of watching my cal. intake. I felt hungry to 1st few days. Then I got over it. I have been abstaining from snacking so far, but I am beginning to feel frustruated and want to eat. I thought if I just wrote about it here, it would help me not eat. Don't get me wrong, I have had my snacks today, but I don't want to use up all my calories before dinner. Plus, I know I will be wanting a snack this evening.

WHat do you do when you feel this way?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Drink some water, if that doesn't do it, I'll drink a *gasp* diet soda! If that doesn't do it, eat something that doesn't have a ton of calories in it (celery and hummus or laughing cow cheese comes to mind). If you don't have a ton of calories left but you are truly hungry (and not just bored) the world won't end if you go over a little bit. Just don't make a habit of it. Some days are just hungrier than others.
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    exercise to take your mind off of eating
  • I'm feeling that way right now. Just ate my small lunch so that I can have some of the yummy BBQ the hubby is making tonight, and even though I logged most of my dinner cals I still want to keep what I have left for a special treat. cardbucfan has it right, some days you're just hungrier than most. One problem though with working out to take your mind off hunger, you run a VERY LARGE risk of being even hungrier after the workout than before.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    hi ive been drinking loads of water and dont feel like snacking:smile:
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    First, are you eating enough?

Second, are you adding in enough vegetables to give your food more volume?

I would advise drinking water, but I've never known it to actually work. Maybe that's because I drink a lot of water naturally. So when I'm hungry, it's not because of dehydration.

There are different types of hunger. Some hunger is fine. If I'm feeling a little empty before bed, I might grab a small snack or just go to bed. I would consider that "little bit empty" feeling okay hunger.

But gnawing hunger might mean that your body actually needs to be fed. And the signals it's sending to your brain may be a desperate attempt to wake you up to the fact. You've been with this long enough that your appetite should have adapted by now. You should not be feeling more than a little hunger here and there, and that bored type of "hunger," where you just want to snack. (I get that a lot! HAHA!)

If it's real hunger, eat, even if it means you'll go over a bit. Listen to your body.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I have been so hungry all day, and didn't have time for lunch which didn't help. I was fine for the first 2 weeks, then starving for a couple of weeks, then ok again, but the last few days (I've been here about 3 months) I have been so hungry I can't think of anything else. I made a load of popcorn in the end and ate that.
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me the important thing is that I am tracking my food every day, not that I am staying under my calories. Also, keep in mind how big your calorie deficit is (like 500 calories if you are aiming for 1 lb per week, 1000 if you are aiming for 2, etc). If you are at a 500 calorie deficit, and you go over your goal by 200 calories, you are still going to be in weight loss mode. So cut yourself some slack!

I found that personally, a 500 calorie deficit was too much for me. I was feeling hungry all the time. I switched up my goal and now I'm at a 300 calorie deficit. I will lose my weight a little more slowly but hopefully it will be easier for me to stick to this for the long haul.